Boiler Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Our boiler recently failed and managed to cause a small amount of flooding in our house.

Having no maintenance contract on the system I called British Gas to have the boiler repaired. At this point their salesman convinced me to take out their Homecare 200 agreement and booked an engineer to attend the next day.

The engineer arrived and initially resolved the problem, however he said the system was "at risk" due to an overflow pipe being routed incorrectly out of the facia boards. He explained I would need to have this rectified by a third party for it to be accepted onto their homecare plan.

Shortly after he left we realised hot water was only available when the heating was switched on (its a combi by the way). Another call and another appointment. We're now being told that they will not resolve the issue until I have the overflow pipe resolved as the boiler is unsafe.

This makes little sense to me as they've taken payment for the initial issue but have not fixed it. Their site says work is guaranteed for 12 months which further leaves me wondering why they wont resolve the problem they didnt fix in the first place.

Am I being reasonable in assuming BG should fix the issue? I do understand why they wont agree to a maintenance plan until the identified issues have been resolved (which i will resolve) but why wont they honour their workmanship guarantee?

Cheers,
Martin

Sponsored Links
Looking after your world. Doing the right thing. Welcome to ****tish Gash.

Phone them up and ask for a refund since they have not fixed the fault. Moreover, explain that since they have refused to accept your boiler onto their service plan, then your bouiler is not actually on their plan and they should refrain from asking for payments.

Then get an independent RGI out to sort out the pipework and the boiler at the same visit.

You had a contract to repair the initial fault, a water leak by the sounds of it. Any subsequent faults are not covered by the initial fix. If you asked for a first fix with a contract assessment attached to it it sounds like he has done it properly by BG's T+C's.

TBH I think you have been hard done by. Common sense would dictate that an At risk situation could be "classified" as At Risk but pose no real risk at all, your situation would fall into that category. A little overzealous judgement by the engineer.

Make and model of boiler please. And I assume the PRV termination is at height?

Sponsored Links
Hi Nickso,

The initial fault was diagnosed to be due to a failure of one of the pressure sensors - pressure built up and didnt vent, this caused a failure of an inline scale inhibitor on the cold water input. This blew the push fit scale inhibitor out and presumably killed something else that controls the hot water activation when a tap is turned.

I'd say my initial contract would be to restore heating and hot water by resolving any issues that were present at the time. This hasn't been fulfilled imo.

The boiler is a 7 year old Worcester 28i Junior that was serviced last year by EON (silly me cancelled their plan). The PRV has been terminated where an exiting overflow came out of the fascia at the top of the house. He'd like this re-routed to the ground to be under contract which is fair enough - I plan to get this done as soon as possible.

You had a contract to repair the initial fault, a water leak by the sounds of it. Any subsequent faults are not covered by the initial fix. If you asked for a first fix with a contract assessment attached to it it sounds like he has done it properly by BG's T+C's.

TBH I think you have been hard done by. Common sense would dictate that an At risk situation could be "classified" as At Risk but pose no real risk at all, your situation would fall into that category. A little overzealous judgement by the engineer.

Make and model of boiler please. And I assume the PRV termination is at height?

Hi Nickso,

The initial fault was diagnosed to be due to a failure of one of the pressure sensors - pressure built up and didnt vent, this caused a failure of an inline scale inhibitor on the cold water input. This blew the push fit scale inhibitor out and presumably killed something else that controls the hot water activation when a tap is turned.

I'd say my initial contract would be to restore heating and hot water by resolving any issues that were present at the time. This hasn't been fulfilled imo.

The boiler is a 7 year old Worcester 28i Junior that was serviced last year by EON (silly me cancelled their plan). The PRV has been terminated where an exiting overflow came out of the fascia at the top of the house. He'd like this re-routed to the ground to be under contract which is fair enough - I plan to get this done as soon as possible.

Hmm bit of a grey area unfortunately. If you go by the T+C's the component that caused the fault should be repaired and maybe minor mopping up. Replacement parts for the boiler too? Pushing it a bit, but I would have expaected him to explain that to you, he either hasn't or you haven't listened. I would also have checked the boiler was working.

All that is required of the PRV is that it terminates against the wall to dissipate any heat from the escaping water and is run in metallic pipe. Re-routing it is unnecessary in my opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back