Boiler Age

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone tell me what is an acceptable age for a boiler. I have an Ideal E type CF60N which I believe to be quite old. I had a heating engineer out recently with a view to replacing it and he said to me not to bother "don't try to fix something that is'nt broke". Was this good advice? The boiler has'nt let us down except for a recent pump change. Any advice appreciated. Jim.

Sponsored Links
jimMC said:
Can someone tell me what is an acceptable age for a boiler. I have an Ideal E type CF60N which I believe to be quite old. I had a heating engineer out recently with a view to replacing it and he said to me not to bother "don't try to fix something that is'nt broke". Was this good advice? The boiler has'nt let us down except for a recent pump change.
I don't think there is acceptable age for a boiler providing everything is in good safe working order and regular service,my floor standing boiler is 23 yrs old ! (not much parts to go wrong on them compare to a combi boiler on this forum!)the only thing I has done was the 'O' ring seals in the cast iron casing which was leaking properly due to the inhibitor in the system !
I couldn't agree more for your honest heating engineer quoting "If ain't broke,don't fix it".

Question for the plumber's,what the boiler age record you've heard ?

very good advice.....keep going until the spares are obsolete

My boiler will have been in use for 31 years this coming August, mind you it's cast iron and oil fired, but i'm sure theres some older.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Apart form no spares available, the only engineering justification for changing a boiler is a failed water jacket, though I do know of cases where the owner has even welded these.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back