Boiler and heating problem - please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, Im new here and not great at DIY so after a little advice on a problem.

We have a Glow Worm 24ci boiler at home. My first issue is when the heating is off the boiler will lose pressure and stop working until I re pressure rise it. (drops from around 1.2 to 0.6 normally in 8-9 hours) I have checked heaters for leaks and cant see and nor do we have any wet patches on the floors etc.

Second is when the heating is on the noise from the pipes is getting louder! Could this just be do to with air in the system? It is worse when the heating is first put on but does continue most of the time. It now sounds like its coming from both bedrooms and the bathroom.

If anyone needs more info I will try to help.

Thanks in advance
David

Sponsored Links
Check outside and see if the pipe from the PRV is dripping.
IF not the expansion vessel might need recharging or need a new one.

I've had this problem 3 times in 10 years - each was a different reason for pressure loss. First was the pressure release valve (PRV) leaking - this is the easiest to look for - on the outside wall where the boiler is located should be the overflow pipe - put a jam jar under it and if it fills up then you have your problem. The PRV is easy to replace on these boilers - the manual is on the Glow Worm web site and shows how to replace it. 30 min job.

Next I had a leaking elbow joint under the floorboards - was really tough to trace it - knew the leak wasn't upstairs with now leaks coming through ceiling. If you listed really carefully at the stem of each radiator you may hear the fizzing of the leak. I also attached a cotton bud to a drinking straw and poked down the holes for each flow and return stem of the rads and found the leak that way.

The third leak was really difficult to find - a small crack in the heat exchanger - but because the boiler was evapourating the leaking water there was no sign - only found this as a final last resort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back