Boiler and immersion on same MCB?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it bad practice for a 3A supply for a boiler and a 13A supply for a 3KW domestic immersion to be on the same RCD protected 16A MCB?

If ok would it then be advisable to fit a 20A DP switch to the immersion so it could be fully insulated if a fault arose and then the boiler could still operate?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The Electricians Guide to the Building Regulations recommends that an electric water heater for a vessel in excess of 20litres should have its own, dedicated supply.

I don't find this in BS7671 and so, like a lot of things, its guidance.

Sponsored Links
Ideally the 16a radial will feed a double pole switch with butyl (or the better modern stuff!) across to the immersion, then you'd spur off the nearby sockets to feed a spur with 3a fuse in just for the boiler. I'm pretty sure that is in the regs but I haven't got them to hand, just seem to remember reading it somewhere

I've had a rethink and will take the supply to the boiler in a spur from the downstairs ring and give the immersion it's own supply as recommended.

I was only considering it as the boiler is below the HW cylinder and I was thinking of using the nearby socket for a spur to something else.

I do have heat resistant flex from the 13A sw spur to the immersion.
But is the 20A DP switch a requirement?

Thanks

Not 100% if the 20a dp switch is a requirement, it certainly is for all my contracts at work. I think its because the immersion draws 13.04 (guesstimate!) amps, i.e. over the 13amps allowed through a fused spur.

So I can assume cable calcs are being made based on 230v now? Used to be 240v and so would have been 12.5A.

This came up recently ... If the immersion is rated at 3KW @ 240 Volts, then it will only draw about 12 Amps at 230 Volts (OK, 11.979 Amps to the nearest milliamp).

Just took a look at the label on the immersion and it's rated 2.8KW at 230v / 3KW at 240v, which is 12.17A / 12.5A. Still just under 13A :)

But I still don't know if the 20A DP switch is a requirement?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back