boiler burner problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Glow Worm economy plus cinventional boiler, 19 years old in good nick (usually) serviced annually. I have a boiler and heating controls service contract. Last week I had to have the engineer out as the burners were not firing up just the click click click of the ignition. He said it needed a new air pressure switch and he ordered one and came to fit it yesterday morning and it seemed to have cured the problem. He fired it up quite a few times with some long gaps in between and it fired after about 4 clicks of the igniter.
Later in the afternoon when the hot water came on with the timer the problem appeared again with the igniter just clicking away, apart from once when it fired up okay. Have the engineer coming again tomorrow. Tried it a few times today on over riding and the burners lit each time after 4 to 10 clicks of igniter. I let it come on again withe timer for 25 minutes and monitored it closely. At first start up the burners started almost straight away but as it stopped and restarted over the 25 minutes it took between 4 and 90 seconds for the burners to light, some times it was 8 secs, them 20 secs and another was 53 seconds and twice 90 seconds.
Any one any ideas as to what could be going on here, the new switch only seems to have partially cured the problem.

Sponsored Links
Whatever the problem, you need to call an engineer in.

It might just need a THOROUGH servicing or another part could have failed.

As this is a gas issue you probably (and rightly) won't get much more information here.

Thanks, engineer is calling again tomorrow, just thought another expert opinion might help him to diagnose the ongoing problem.

If the air pressure switch were faulty, no clicking :rolleyes:

Wonder if your man knows his way round your boiler and if it really was serviced!

Sponsored Links
Thanks, engineer is calling again tomorrow, just thought another expert opinion might help him to diagnose the ongoing problem.

You should expect him be an expert and know what to do!

Unfortunately, those who have to work for the boiler cover firms are usually at the lower end of the diagnostic skills scale.

But its a VERY simple problem! As DP has said, the pressure switch was NOT the fault and to us that indicates a less competent engineer.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back