Boiler Change Quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I was hoping for some confirmation or sorts. I've just had a quote for a new boiler fitting. Sadly the quotes not itemised. The quote is the following:
- Gloworm 24KwHe Combi Boiler to be put in loft (removal of tanks and assoc. pipe work) installation of external gas pipe to loft.
- Supply & Fit condenser drain to soil
- Supply & fit radiator to airing cupboard (small rad)
- To re-pipe 3no grnd floor rads to 2 pipe
- To micro-bore 10/8m foam d/entry to 2 pipe.
- Inc registration of appliance to Corgi & Building Control
- Powerflush & add of corrosion inhibitor

I've had a real good research on the avg. costs of daily rates, found costs for the boiler,rad,powerflush,inhibitors. All based on avg. Not sure about the micro-bore bit and re-pipe, external gas pipe, condensor drain and piping needed. This is for a 3 bed house, in now way a big house, and of course no new rads.

From what I've researched I was hoping for around £2k. Would this be reasonable? The 3k I've been quoted seems very high.

Am I wrong? Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You're right, 3k does seem a bit high. That installer is probably taking a wage and covering overheads that he is expecting YOU to pay for. Sack him and shop around. You'll probably get it for a lot less than 2k if you offer cash and you're not bothered about the quality of the job or after sales service. Meanwhile that thieving robbing installer will probably have to work for someone that appreciates him.

I would not have that particular boiler for 300, let alone 3000, but that is me. it sounds like there is a fair bit of work involved, so it could be anywhere from quite cheap to quite expensive, also depending on where you are. Don’t understand the bit about the grnd floor rads or the microbore. Powerflush sounds thorough (if done right).
notification to corgi and building control is a bit ******; installer must do this so it is not an extra

Solo,
Lol, you seem aggitated by my post. So put me right, I honestly don't know. I mean what are the cost drivers here? I would assume its the labour and boiler. The boiler you can get for £500....and I'm guessing it's a 2 day job for a plumber and helper, is that way off? If it's more likely gonna take a working week then that's absolutely fair enough and 3K I can understand. I'm going on the 2 days cos of the 6 hours it took 2 BG installers to fit a new boiler from kitchen to airing cupboard with powerflush and a fair bit of pipework that we had at our last house. So 2 days rate is what, £800, about 30 miles outside London in rural area?

Is the rest of the quote really gonna be £1700! Or am I way off with the time it's gonna take?

Sponsored Links
hmm lets see.

could the £1700 be used up in the following? :rolleyes:

(removal of tanks and assoc. pipe work) installation of external gas pipe to loft.
- Supply & Fit condenser drain to soil
- Supply & fit radiator to airing cupboard (small rad)
- To re-pipe 3no grnd floor rads to 2 pipe
- To micro-bore 10/8m foam d/entry to 2 pipe.
- Inc registration of appliance to Corgi & Building Control
- Powerflush & add of corrosion inhibitor

£3k doesnt sound bad at all for that amount of work. i agree with the poor choice of boiler though.

Boiler,flue, filling loop,clock and room stat probably nearer 700-800(not sure dont fit glow worm), trv's £10 per pair.Chemicals, copper, training, corgi reg, price of maintaing a power flush,van insurance, public liability. the list is endless.oh forgot VAT, we all pay it somewhere.

Go for a Vaillant , they now own Glowworm. Far supperior boiler.

Have you white carpets he could accidentally get dirty, these items have to be considered and worked into the cost.

The time took for the estimate has to be re-couped somewhere so that'll come in the cost.

If you want to compare ring BG they'll probably quote you £3600 upwards.

Can we assume you have a one pipe system which is being altered to a two pipe system, which is a fair bit of extra labour and materials?
3k isnt way too high if its a full re-pipe or as well as, but wouldnt have that boiler as bengasman said also,i prefer baxi duo-tec but thats my choice,is he fitting a scale reducer or a magna-clean?,at 3k i would expect those as standard though.

Boiler,flue, filling loop,clock and room stat probably nearer 700-800(not sure dont fit glow worm), trv's £10 per pair.Chemicals, copper, training, corgi reg, price of maintaing a power flush,van insurance, public liability. the list is endless.oh forgot VAT, we all pay it somewhere.

Go for a Vaillant , they now own Glowworm. Far supperior boiler.

Have you white carpets he could accidentally get dirty, these items have to be considered and worked into the cost.

The time took for the estimate has to be re-couped somewhere so that'll come in the cost.

If you want to compare ring BG they'll probably quote you £3600 upwards.

Oh yeah I know all about BG costs!
Well it certainly sounds like £3k might not be too bad, and the boiler choice is naff :)

But when you say corgi reg, price of maintaing a power flush,van insurance, public liability. the list is endless etc. Isn't that all included in the days labour cost?
I mean the Company I work for, when we quote for work we will give the cost of all those overheads as part of our hourly rate. Of course that's not what I earn, but the lighting, heating, training etc etc is in that hourly rate. So should I expect a daily rate of labour, plus additional overheads like stated?

Price doesnt seem to bad, just the choice of appliance isnt great. See if he will do a better spec boiler for the same price and do a deal.

I doubt you would get a straight boiler swap for £2000.

If £3000 inc VAT then I would say it is good. Agree about GW boiler though, absolute lump of c r a p.

Nikos72";p="761453 said:
Solo,
Lol, you seem aggitated by my post. So put me right, I honestly don't know. I mean what are the cost drivers here? I would assume its the labour and boiler. The boiler you can get for £500....and I'm guessing it's a 2 day job for a plumber and helper, is that way off? If it's more likely gonna take a working week then that's absolutely fair enough and 3K I can understand. I'm going on the 2 days cos of the 6 hours it took 2 BG installers to fit a new boiler from kitchen to airing cupboard with powerflush and a fair bit of pipework that we had at our last house.quote]

The BG installers told you they done a powerflush more like it :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back