Boiler change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi had a plumber yesterday because I have two cold radiators and one luke warm one he did all usual checks checked thermostats and made sure valves was fully open but no joy.. He said the system I had was self pressurised and this was a common fault due to contamination in pipes causing a blockage, he said it would require a power flush and a metallic filter fitting he said although this should cure the problem it was not guaranteed and a blockage could occur at any time.. So as my system is 13 years old he says it may be more cost effective to have a new boiler fitted just wondering what people’s thoughts are?

Sponsored Links
So as my system is 13 years old he says it may be more cost effective to have a new boiler fitted just wondering what people’s thoughts are?

Well if you have a new boiler fitted and the contamination is still in the pipes then the new boiler will soon suffer the same blockage. A new boiler would ( should ) be fitted after a power flush. So have the power flush and if the old boiler is then able to warm all the rads keep it until it really needs replacing.

he says it may be more cost effective to have a new boiler fitted just wondering what people’s thoughts are?

It will certainly have a beneficial effect on his wallet.

It would help to know which boiler you have and what shape it's in.

Some boilers last well beyond the oft-quoted average of 15 years, others not!

What your man suggested is not unreasonable IMO.

Sponsored Links
Installing a new boiler will have no affect on blocked pipework or rads in so far as just putting a new boiler on wont clear out the pipework. He needs to confirm if it is the pipework or if another part of the central heating system is causing it.

If it is blocked pipework then flushing/cleaning it out can bring it back and there may be noting wrong with the boiler. I wouldn't be recommending a new boiler until the old one is definitely identified as the cause.

It certainly wouldn't be the most cost effective approach, if there is nothing wrong with the boiler.

Hi had a plumber yesterday because I have two cold radiators and one luke warm one he did all usual checks checked thermostats and made sure valves was fully open but no joy.. He said the system I had was self pressurised and this was a common fault due to contamination in pipes causing a blockage, he said it would require a power flush and a metallic filter fitting he said although this should cure the problem it was not guaranteed and a blockage could occur at any time.. So as my system is 13 years old he says it may be more cost effective to have a new boiler fitted just wondering what people’s thoughts are?

If pipes are furred up, how is a new boiler going to fix the problem.

If a pothole on your drive was damaging your car, would you...

a) buy a new car
b) fix the pothole?

Your man is suggesting that you ignore the pothole and buy a new car

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back