Boiler Clunking and Rads Cooling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 3 storey property and have a Baxi Maxiflow boiler which was fitted 4 years ago.

All was good until recently when the boiler began making horrible 'clunking' sounds and the pressure gauge needle began jumping around. Also some of the ground floor rads lost some heat.

After doing some research I turned off the boiler,shut off the rads and pulled them through one by one starting with the ground floor with the result that all the rads got hot,there was no nasty boiler noise and the pressure gauge sat quietly. - Happy Days!

- Unfortunately not as when the heating came on the next day the 'clunking' noises and loss of heat was back.

The symptoms are that when the heating is switched on the temp. display on the boiler races past the set figure of 78 up to about 86 when it switches itself off. The temp display then drops,the boiler fires up and races to 86 again before shutting down. This happens 3 or 4 times until it settles a little and fluctuates between about 70 and 83. This is when the heavy clunking starts and the pressure gauge goes crazy.

Any idea what the problem could be and how to rectify it?

When the boiler was first fitted it gave problems like this which was followed by a few engineers taking a look at it and trying this and that over hours and hours before it finally settled without anyone being sure as to how although someone did suggest that the return flow pipe was somehow at fault. ( I have noticed that the 'out flow' pipe gets very hot very quickly whereas the return pipe is noticeably cooler) Could this have anything to do with it?

Also, how would everything work perfectly after I had re-balanced the rads and then the next day I'm back to square one?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back