Vaillant EcoTec 428 "clunking" noise on cold start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, I've had a good old search around this forum and on the web and whilst I've seen many issues around Vaillant, I'm not sure I can connect any of those issues to my problem so please forgive my need to try and get closer to the cause.

I have a < 1yr fitted Vaillant EcoTec 428 feeding a large tank for hot water, standard rad system + 2 UFH zones. I have always had some concerns over the start up noises it makes and haven't really got very far in persuading the engineer to fix it - but I haven't pushed him too hard yet (for various reasons).

The situation is, the hot water and heating systems are all due to start at 6am and for the first hour to 2 hours of that period there is a "clunking" noise that comes from the boiler housing area. The pattern is usually "clunk","clunk","clunk", silence,"clunk",silence, .... repeat and over the 2 hour period the silences periods get longer and the clunking diminishes. Once this period has passed there is no further noises till the following day.
These issues have been particularly noticable recently - very cold weather outside.
That is all the diagnostics I have to go on at the moment. I'm about to launch into nagging the engineer and I would like to talk the correct terms and give him good information about the problem. I can imagine I might need more clear information and diagnostics for him.
Can someone please direct me to help identifying where the problem may be ? I don't want to get into "repressurisinng chambers" - thats his job - but if I can give him a clear steer what to go look at , I'd feel confident he might stand a chance of getting it right.
Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back