Boiler cover removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I’m sure This has been done to death but is it safe to remove the external metal case of my boiler , a Main he not sure the exact model . Someone has suggest the pump may be air locked so all I want to do is the bleed key ...
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I’d say model number needed to answer the question.

Pumps very very rarely get air locked...it's just a diy myth.
Pumps are designed such that the water flows through the shaft to the bearings and clears the air.
I can't remember the last time I bled a pump...

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Ok thank you . It’s a main 28 he
My issue is I drained down the system after using x400 and thst did the trick .. after I refilled the system with fresh water inhibitor etc I’m sure the central heating on some rads take longer now to heat up. Before I could hear the water running through a towel rail for example if that make sense now I can’t am I’m sure it’s slower to get hot ...

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks ..well the boiler and one radiator sound like there’s stones rattling around in them for want of a better description.. what might this be ? Thanks for your help

you can remove the front cover on that your self no problem, if you want to bleed the pump there is an automatic air vent at the rear of the pump just make sure the little black plastic thumb screw on the top is loose and that will bleed it automatically

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Cool
Thank you .. what do you think the ball bearing rattling about noise could be ? Saying that I just went to the boiler and that is materially died down now , just the old little gritty type noise and the radiator the same ?!

Proba yeah hopefully won’t need to flush etc again and the mana clean will pick it all up
Tks

I think there’s a small bit left in there I’ve got an adaptor coming later so I can get (hopefully ) and air lock out of a radiator with a hose later ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back