Boiler Cupboard Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently boxing in my boiler which is in the corner of the kitchen. We've used MDF 18mm for the side panel and I'd like some advice on the best material for the door because due to its size I've not been able to find a ready made door to fit.

Should I use MDF for the door or something like plasterboard? I'm thinking that the MDF might be quite heavy although if its 12mm rather than 18 it will be lighter than the side panel :unsure:

Any advice appreciated with this project please.

Sponsored Links
18mm mdf if you want it to take hinges .You could use more than one ready made door to achieve correct height? Or panel across the top/bottom to reduce overall height .

Any advice appreciated with this project please.

A good starting point, is an adapted kitchen wall cupboard and door. If possible - one which matches the rest of your kitchen. Which is what I did, I just adapted it, so as to make it quick and easy to remove the entire thing, for boiler servicing purposes.

Mine just has a door, with click- off hinges on strips attached to an adjacent cabinet. Gives easy access. There is no need for a cupboard with top and bottom panels, which you can't see anyway with the door shut.

I used a door matching all the other kitchen units (I bought plenty).

Sponsored Links
Mine just has a door, with click- off hinges on strips attached to an adjacent cabinet. Gives easy access. There is no need for a cupboard with top and bottom panels, which you can't see anyway with the door shut.

I used a door matching all the other kitchen units (I bought plenty).

My cupboard sits by itself, in a corner, but with a gap between it and the corner, with the flue and pipework, out the top - so it has to have a bottom, sides and door, but no top panel. I just have a quick to remove cover, hiding the flue, pipes and filter. The unit itself, I bracketed together, so it was the work of a few minutes to remove it, should it be needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back