Boiler fail 30 sec after light with loud clunking noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a Potterton Suprima 60 boiler

I've been through the usual circuit board problems, and this doesn't seem to be the same.

I have bled all radiators thinking there was air in the system, but when i tried bleeding the pump no air or water came out. Devised that there was a problem with the pump so out came the wallet and a new pump was fitted.

Now i'm getting the same problem.

When the boiler fires it lights and seems to work. 30 seconds later the light goes out, and the boiler red light flashes. The boiler then bangs and clangs. It wont reset, but 5 minutes later it will come back on. Same thing happens, except this time no banging and clanging.

this only started when i tried to get the heating going, now we have nothing.
Help needed please.

Sponsored Links
This is a classic case of no water or circulation in the system.

Unfortunately rather than reading the FAQs you rushed into replacing the pump.

Have you even checked the F&E tank?

Have you done the bucket test at the pump? One of the pump valves may have jammed/broken.

There are lots of potential faults with heating systems and they all need careful diagnosis first rather than rushing into changing parts and hoping they will go away.

Tony

Talk about school boy error.

Remembered to check all rad bleed valves were tuned off, all drain points were closed. I watched the whole system while it refilled to ensure no leaks.

:!: :oops: But forgot to open the pump valves after i fitted the new pump. :oops: :!:

When the system cools down and resets i'll give it another go, hopefully this will be it. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Talk about school boy error.

Remembered to check all rad bleed valves were tuned off, all drain points were closed. I watched the whole system while it refilled to ensure no leaks.

:!: :oops: But forgot to open the pump valves after i fitted the new pump. :oops: :!:

When the system cools down and resets i'll give it another go, hopefully this will be it. :rolleyes:

Dont be :oops: mate all and i MEAN ALL of us have done this at some point, your biggest problem with this problem is you were unfortunate enough to have Captain Fantastic, Ive never made a mistake, i was an apprentice who trained the full time guys, Agile respond

Please let us know if its now working

It's still not working. :(

Although the knocking and clunking has stopped. :)

Just have the boiler cut out problem. Same as before the boiler will light, be on for 30 secs, then cut out. red light flashing away. System won't reset for ages. :confused: :confused: :confused:

If i leave the controls on it comes on in time.

As my previous post shows i'm no expert, but it seems as if something is tripping, an overheat, or pressure fail or something, and the boiler wont reset until this is cleared. Once it feels it's ok it starts over.

Anyone have any ideas.

i'm going for the full bucket test on all radiators and the pump on Thu / Fri to check that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back