Boiler Fault FInding and Repair query (from an old un)!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I am a retired man :cry: and I used to be a handyman in my younger days :D I have time on my hands and still do the odd plumbing jobs when they arise but am very interested in learning about boiler repairs and fault finding. I found this lovely sight via google and it is very good and very knowledgable.

During the past year or so I have discovered a book called Combination Boilers Fault Finding and Repair, which has good reviews and is supposedly very good. Has anyone on this site read it or got it?

I also have a DVD called Mr Combi and another dvd called Combi BOiler fault finding / repair by a company called techvid.

These are all very good and have taught me a lot about how boilers work, the fault finding process, how to test parts, operating sequence of boilers, how to replace certain parts, etc. Obviously I am not Gas Safe registered at my age, and have been learning through interest in my spare time.

Is there any other ways I can learn more about boilers and fault finding or repair? I really enjoy it and it beats watching daytime television :LOL:

Sponsored Links
There is no age limit to being Gas registered!

However, it would be harder for older people to start learning afresh and the assessments could be quite stressful. I have seen young people get stressed and walk out but they have less chance of heart attacks!

I do hope that you are not intending to start doing illegal gas work!

If you are just interested for interest's sake then the best way is to go out with a local engineer and see just whats involved. Chris Hutt is in your area and a very good engineer and very helpful but I have not heard from him for a few years.

If you were in London you would be welcome to come with me. I think older people give customers confidence, particularly when dealing with pensioners.

The other thing is to find an old boiler and take it to pieces to see how it works. Thats what I used to do starting with a sundial when I was 5 years old but that ended in disaster when it was too heavy and fell over and broke in two. Problem was it belonged to the neighbour and I got spanked for that and my father had to try to glue it together with cement.

Tony

Hello there

I too am interested in learning about boilers. I also have the Combi fault finding book, by Reginald It is very good and very detailed.! I've also got the Mr combi dvd if that's the same one you have?! (Mr combi does a boiler fault finding/repair course too but you need to be ACS/Gas Safe registered to attend it for obvious reasons).

I am currently unemployed after the company I was working for cut back on staff (seems I am one of a few million at the moment in this situation).

I'd also like to know if there are anyways I can learn more about fault finding and repairing boilers. I'd like to get my hands on an old boiler to take apart and study the components if that would help? Problem is where to find one!

Sponsored Links
Hello, thank you for your kind replies.

StevenD yes I have the Mr Combi dvd, it is ok. I think the Techvid one is good as well, if not even better.

I think getting my hands on an old boiler would be a good idea and rather fun. I'd prefer this to allotments! :D

One thing I am slightly confused about, is after learning about boilers and fault finding from the book and dvd's, some posts on here about boilers, still seem confusing when I read them. For example, some boilers seem to have strange names for parts. Is this just the manufacturer's technical name/design for certain parts? Obviously I don't have the boiler manual to study/look at and am just looking out of interest.

BTW: Steven D, how old are you? If you are unemployed and signing on, I do believe the job centre run gas training courses, but I am not sure of the criteria needed for these? Work a look though possibly?

Agile, that is indeed very kind of you. If I were in London I would love to come out with you and learn and assist you.

I met a fellow in Coventry who was 26 and had been pretty much unemployed since he left school. He was a Rasta and spent his time listening to reggae music and smoking ganga. He was sent on a BG sponsored gas course at the local college with a high expectation of a BG job at the end.

It was amazing! His brain was empty to start with and he adsorbed and understood everything he was taught. I ran out of gas questions to ask him and his answers were 100% correct.

Unfortunately, whilst he wanted to come and work for me, he expected £100 a day paid in cash. Quite apart from his unrealistic expectations, I would have been worried that many of my customers would be frightened by his 24" dreadlocks!

Tony

I'd also like to know if there are anyways I can learn more about fault finding and repairing boilers.

what about the rest ? more to it than just understanding boilers.

Hi seco services. Yes I totally agree with you. I actually did train in plumbing for over 2 years whilst working. I also did help assist a plumber who lived near me for a while, until he moved away and retired!

I learned about things such as how to fault find and repair toilets, overflows, burst pipes, taps, radiators, motorised valves, pumps, thermostats, prorammers/timers, electric showers, I fitted a bathroom suite on my own last summer for my sister in Nottingham. What I learned and the epxerience certainly helped me with that one (for e/g about the old pipe size from the bath being imperial for a start)!

I understand a lot of central heating/hot water faults are related to components OUTSIDE of the boiler (apart from combi's of course)!

I do love and enjoy plumbing, I am just very interested in boilers now too.

Harold - thank you for your advice, i will ask about the gas training course. I do understand a bit about gas as I studied it and did some practical work on it whilst training as a plumber before. I have done Tightness Tests, Gas Rate calculations/checks, checked burner pressure, serviced boiler, cooker fire and water heater also (at college though under supervision)! I really enjoyed it. You would have done so too :D

seco services - I am learning to drive now too!! Half way through near enough. Im 28 years old but still haven't got a licence :oops: I put it down to a bad experience or 2!

I really want to learn about boiler's more, will definetely ask about gas training at the job centre. Even if I had to pay for it out of my savings I'd be willing to.

Does anyone know where I could possibly find an old boiler (as kindly suggested)? Any ideas where to look/ask? I do have a car, and a kind grandosn who could help me with lifting if necessary :LOL:

Are there any training courses for boiler's in the London area that anyone knows of? Or do you need to be gas safe registered to attend them?

How many do you want? :LOL:

Could get you half a dozen or more if your willing to travel 2 hours :D

Can be a chick and egg situation as most of the colleges are still very oversubscribed. Willesden used to be over subbed by 10 times but thats only 4 times now. They select by aptitude.

However, they are meant to only take those who have an established employment or practical experience position.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back