Boiler filling problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Worcester boiler for my central heating and hot water. I am trying to add water to the central heating. The system has a loop from the cold water into the central heating pipe. There are isolating valves on each end. I added water in the past by just turning the valve near the central heating pipe. But now when I turn it nothing happens. Not really sure what could of happened as it was working fine. The only thing I can think of is that last year we had some really cold weather and I am just wondering if this did something to it. I did have a small problem a drainage pipe which froze but that was outside.

Thanks

Jon

Sponsored Links
Thanks, but I know how to fill the system its just that when I turn the valve nothing is happening which is a bit strange.

Jon

Sponsored Links
There is no key its just a loop of flexible pipe that has an isolation valve on each end that is connected to the cold water and central heating pipes.

Jon

Then if the isolation valves are in the correct position the flex and/or valve as failed.

my 1st suspect would be a faulty non return valve(relatively common), try taking the ch side of the filling loop off and put in a bucket, then try and open the cw side valve, if it starts filling the bucket then its most likely the non return valve on the ch, replace & test.
On occasion if you have a problem with your mains pressure going down due to alterations to the cw mains service, then it will only fill to whatever level your incoming mains is, this is isnt common but does happen.
Another unlikely possibilty is a faulty PRV, this can soetimes let water out as u fill, either check the prv pipe for discharge, or if raining outside i just tape a placcy bag onto it, try and fill then check bag.
The rarest of all would be a holed hw plate hex, then as u fill the water will flow into your cw or hw pipes & can backfill your cw mains.
Rarer still is a holed main hex allowing system water to flow out of the condense pipe.

That should cover most possibilities & solve your problem, just start at the top and work your way down m8.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back