Boiler flame colour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a Potterton Promax 15 2 HE boiler and I've noticed that, when running, the flame burns orange. Is this normal? I've heard that an orange flame can indicate problems with the boiler which could be a carbon monoxide risk...

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You are quite right!

The best advice would be to turn it off until you can get a competent CORGI out.

Running it in that condition can cause the heat exchanger to soot up.

We assume the flue terminates correctly and is not blocked or sucking in contaminates.

Tony

I'm not sure on those points, as I'm just your regular boiler user :), but it's only been fitted six months.

We've been having problems with needing to reset it when it occasionally fails to fire up, and I've read that failed combustion door seals can cause that. Could that be contributing to the orange flame?

I would not have thought so!

Your boiler is a positive case pressure boiler so a poor seal is likely to be more dangerous rather than having much effect on the combustion.

The case fixings are a quarter turn rather than totally adjustable screw which can be tightened up to keep the seal compressed.

You can call the installer back to investigate.

I am currently investigating an intermittent ignition lockout on your model but not getting very much progress as its only very occasional and rather illogical.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice Tony! I'll give the chap a ring tomorrow.

The boiler was installed six months ago, but the unit is approaching 18 months old. It was installed at my brother-in-laws house first and he had it replaced with a combi when he had a loft conversion. Looks like any work will be chargeable, oh well. :)

Thanks again.

Tony is right, do not use. I would first get the installer to come back, on the double, and insist he corrects all problems. Flame should always be blue.
If the installer does not fix problem immediately, contact CORGI and tell them you have got safety concerns. They will force the installer to do the job correctly.

Actually, just been looking again at the flame.

It *is* blue and what I'm seeing orange is at the top (looking up into the viewing window at about 45 degrees). Is what I'm seeing just heat the heat exchanger glowing?

Sorry, I'm such a newbie, I really appreciate your advice!! :oops:

Boiler flame should be blue, sharp and well defined.

Flickering orange bits at the tips is just dust usually.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back