Boiler Flu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, was just looking for some advice to ease my paranoia!
Have a combi boiler, flu coming out of flat roof of garage about 4 foot
away from the wall of the house. The wall has an air vent and there are
bows/bends leaving 2cm gaps between the wooden eves and the wall,
which I am now going to get sorted.
When on the garage roof you get a facefull of fumes if boiler comes on.
My question is could I have been getting a build up of co(especially during winter when constantly on) through the roof area into the house through the length running gaps in the eves.
I have co detector in the house, non display that hasn't gone off, but it has been on my mind due to having a leak once when we bought the house and boiler was inside, found out after a good few months that there was a low level leak.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Doubtful they will have entered the property. 4ft is much further way than the minimum distance manufacurers normally specify

Furthermore, a good medern boiler makes hardly any CO, so it should be OK.

You will always get a face full of fumes if you are standing next to the terminal, HOWEVER it is what makes up those fumes that is important, as has already been said, modern boilers should not produce a high amount of Carbon Monoxide, which realistically is the only chemical within those fumes potent enough to kill you!! ;)

Sponsored Links
Furthermore, a good medern boiler makes hardly any CO, so it should be OK.

misleading statement i think :rolleyes: for example could have 90 ppm 9.5 % from condensing, 90ppm 4.5% standard efficiency - - - depends on the ratio of co/co2.

Thankyou for the replies, I hope I don't sound stupid.
Was 10 years ago had a leak and had one of those spot detectors that changed colour, called British Gas who said there was no leak and cooking can cause the colour to change, as boiler was in the kitchen.
I bought a display detector couple of months later which started registering
and then called a private corgi registered person , paid him to check
and there was a leak, had a new combi boiler put in at that time in the garage away from the inside of the house.
So was living with a leak for months and ever since then, unfortunately have become a bit paranoid about boilers and reading about the affects the co could have had on the body.
Thanks all.

THrow the spot detector away, get a loud electronic one - reason, when you are suffering from low level CO Poisoning, and feeling drowsy you wont think to look at the silly spot detector, however a 98Db Alarm is sure to rouse you and posibly save your life, also those spot detectors change colour with age an frighten the life out of you anyway!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back