boiler gas feed question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi lads wonder if you could help ,my fatherinlaw has just had a worcherster 24 ri regular boiler fitted as a straight swap and the plumber has used 15mm pipe to feed the gas .It reduces from 22mm about 18 inches (the other side of the wall) to 15mm then to the boiler which it is then enlarged back to 22 mm to go into the boiler ,what do you recon .....as im a qualified plumber and no a bit i no on a 15 or 18 kw boiler it is possible to do this for a short lengh but not sure on a 24kw model. :(

Sponsored Links
If it has the correct working pressure then it is perfectly ok. Do a gas rate on it from cold if you feel the need to check it

Although in theory namsag is correct, I believe that Worcester state that the gas supply pipe must not be smaller than the 22mm coming off the boiler, in fact all manufacturers that I know of state the same.

As we all know MI's are the rule.

hi the plumber has finished the job now but when my fatherinlaw told him he needs to fill the bench mark and insurance out he said hell be back tommoz (he hasnt been paid yet ) to do it as he didnt have his number on him mmmmmmmmm i thought , so i have got his corgi number off my dad as he also did a landlord check last week for him and ive checked him out ,his corgi ran out last year so corgi told me anyway .my dilema now is either to ring him and remind him he needs a valid corgi number to sign the job or to wait to see if he put another number down tommorrow .also my father is buggered now also as the insurance is void on the rented property that the landlord check was supposed to be done mmmmm. what should i do lads

Sponsored Links
if he is not corgi then suggest to him you will arrenge for a willing corgi to come and check the install, sign it off and you can deduct his bill from the main bill

The landlords check will have to be done again, so deduct that for starters.

What number did he use for that.

The MI clearly says the gas pipe should be no smaller than 22mm.

I think you should get him to change the pipe and fill in the benchmark, then contact Corgi and ask what the best solution is, clearly you need valid documents for the HIP and building control

You are in a very good position as he should not be working when his registration has run out!

For a start, the boiler will have to be taken off the wall and reinstalled for anyone to legally signed off by a registered person. We would charge about £180 for that!!!

My advice is to pay him for the materials used but do not pay anything else until you have found a genuine CORGI who is willing to sign it off which means notifying CORGI who will send you a Blue Certificate.

He is acting fraudulently in purporting to be CORGI registered and it is a very serious offence to issue a Gas Safety certificate when not registered!

Tony

as im a qualified plumber and no a bit i no on a 15 or 18 kw boiler it is possible to do this for a short lengh but not sure on a 24kw model. :(

I assume that you are not CORGI registered or you would be able to measure the gas pressure at the meter and at the boiler inlet test point when the boiler is on full power.

The British Standard is a maximum pressure loss of 1 mB. But this is not law, just good practice.

The manufacturers will state a minimum inlet gas pressure at full power which is usually 18 mB. That should always be achieved with a new installation!

Be aware that some CORGI Inspectors get it wrong! Measuring the "working pressure" at the meter with three gas rings on and then the working pressure at the boiler input on full power is NOT the correct method to measure the pressure loss in the gas supply pipe!

Tony

Ive just been working with a gas fitter who does this a lot, his excuse is he's only got a 25 mm drill bit so he uses 22mm copper for the sleeve and reduces through this for his gas supply :eek: Always does his safety checks though, says he's never had any problems.

Ive just been working with a gas fitter who does this a lot, his excuse is he's only got a 25 mm drill bit so he uses 22mm copper for the sleeve and reduces through this for his gas supply :eek: Always does his safety checks though, says he's never had any problems.

He needs to buy a bigger drill :LOL:

hi lads my dad spoke to him today to tell him we have found him out and he was shocked very shocked .... he will be getting his friend around my dads place to do a new landlord check this weekend and he has also been to my father in laws after i sent rather a nastly text message asking him to do a presure check on the boiler as im not convinced about the 15mm feed aslo to sign it off with a valid corgi number ,he has done the checks and partly filled out the forms but he has said he wont recieve his new corgi number till the 14th of april mmmmmmm is that right can you just ring up and pay and recieve it the following week .anyway he hasnt been payed yet and im thinking of getting a corgi inspector to do a visit just to check it out before he returns ,then explain to corgi hes been trading without a lience for a year as i also work with 3 people who he has also fitted combis for in the last 4 months..

What is it with people, always trying to cut corners? FFS for the price of the right sized drill or core then they are doing a half assed job... Add to that, if he had spent a few quid on doing the job just right, ( Worcester clearly state that a minimum of 22mm pipe be used) then the customer would never have even questioned his Registration... Tight and dumb Doh!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back