Boiler Heating when Programmer Switched OFF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

WE have a Baxi Barcelona Condensing boiler attached to this is a 7 day 3 times a day event timer plus a room thermostat.The problem is when we turn the programmer off and turn down the thermostat the boiler continues to run when it should be OFF ?? .Havent checked to see if it is on constantly but i dont think it is but it shouldnt be running at all .Is this a new programmer or could be a faulty pcb on the boiler itself ???.

What do you experts think it is please help :D

the only way we can switch it off at the moment is turn off the power supply :cry:

Sponsored Links
Fast_Muchly said:
Is this a new programmer or could be a faulty pcb on the boiler itself?

it's very unlikely that it's a boiler problem because the barcelona doesn't have a permanent live so if it's firing all the time there must be something external putting power to the boiler. is the programmer a baxi integral one or is it seperate, on the wall?

and its not firing all the time ,what im saying is its running when the programmer is shut off which it shouldnt be

thanks for the help !! .

Sponsored Links
i would say the fault lies with your programmer but it's best tested before you change it. if you've got a multimeter and some electrical knowledge i'll explain how to test

Fast_Muchly said:
Hi

WE have a Baxi Barcelona Condensing boiler attached to this is a 7 day 3 times a day event timer plus a room thermostat.The problem is when we turn the programmer off and turn down the thermostat the boiler continues to run when it should be OFF ?? .Havent checked to see if it is on constantly but i dont think it is but it shouldnt be running at all .Is this a new programmer or could be a faulty pcb on the boiler itself ???.

What do you experts think it is please help :D

the only way we can switch it off at the moment is turn off the power supply :cry:

I seem to be getting a very similar problem (intermittently) at the moment with my boiler and Honeywell ST6200A timer:

The timer is off (i.e. the heating/hot water should not be on) but the boiler and water pump in the boiler is still on. The only way of switching it off in this state is to switch the boiler off at the mains.

I am thinking this could be a fault with the timer/programmer, but I would like to confirm this before replacing the timer (upgrading it at the same time to a 7 day timer).

Thanks in advance :)

Tim

sorry, fast muchly
only just seen your reply
i'll write you a test explanation when i get in from work tonight

ChrisR said:
Tim what's your boiler.

It is an Ideal Classic RS50.

The system is a 'pressure system'.
There is a thermostat in the lounge and a frost-stat next to the boiler in the garage.
There is no tanks in the loft. There is only the hot water tank in the airing cupboard, with a motorised valve in there. That changes position if I move it.

Sorry - don't know all the right words for heating stuff :oops:

The boiler was services a couple of months ago. About a month later we noticed the heating staying on all night - it was cold, so just assumed it was the frost stat kicking in. The rads got VERY hot, though.

Last night when the timer turned the heating off, the boiler and pump switched off (as is normal operation). This morning the heating came on as expected too. However, when the timer turned it off again, the boiler switched off, but the pump did not.

It is all rather confusing and intermittent!

Tim

It sounds as if your frost stat is kicking in which overrides everything....the rads will get very hot because the boiler will then be running to the temperature setting on the boiler stat not the room stat. The pump should continue to run to disperse the heat in the boilers heat exchanger...this pump overrun should last about 5 minutes or so.

ollski said:
It sounds as if your frost stat is kicking in which overrides everything....the rads will get very hot because the boiler will then be running to the temperature setting on the boiler stat not the room stat. The pump should continue to run to disperse the heat in the boilers heat exchanger...this pump overrun should last about 5 minutes or so.

At the moment (as we speak) the timer has the heating 'on'. The boiler is not on (as the lounge thermo says it is hot enough) but the pump is on, and has been for maybe an hour. The rads are stone cold!

Not sure it is the frost stat, but thanks for the suggestion.

Tim

possibly the room thermostat is calling for heat but the boiler stat is satisfied ie not set high enough to meet room stat temp. What happens now if you turn up the boiler stat?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back