Boiler help please!

Thanks for that.

Saying the flue vents into the chimney which is covered over - i meant with reference to a bird or something falling down it!! There is a cage on the top of the chimney. The sounds was as if someone had dropped a hammer down the flue!!

We have had the heating on with no further problems. OH reckons it was a fan blade shearing off. Could this be the case?

Anyway - a check over is what is needed after last nights escapade!!

Sponsored Links
If its a fanned flue and it does go into a chimney you must disconnect the boiler immediately.
Not heard of a blade coming off a fan in a boiler - they have dozens of blades...

Hi there - forgive me joining in - new member so dont know the rules yet!! Also have an old Thorn Myson Apollo - was working OKish but sometimes tripped out on overheat on first burn from cold. Cleaned out the fins on the heat exchanger and put it back together - fired up OK but then shut down after about 1 minute. From what I can tell the overtemp switch shut off the gas valve, pilot and all. Waited a few minutes, tried again - same thing happened. Now it refuses to even keep the pilot flame lit!! Thermocouple is working fine so I assume a problem with the overtemp switch - just puzzled why it should fail at exactly the same time as I cleaned it all out?? So - 2 questions - can I check the switch with a meter or even short it to check that this is the problem?? - and can anyone explain how this shuts off the gas valve even when the power is switched off???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back