boiler in cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a floor boiler in an airing cupboard, when I moved into the property the cupboard had no door. I want to now put one on. Is there any regulations as to what size vents I need to put in the door or will just two do at the top and bottom. I am unsure on the size of the boiler as am in the office.

Sponsored Links
Consult the boiler manufacturer. Also ensure that the supply of air into the room is adequate.

If it is open flue the door may have been taken off so that it is not in a compartment, because for an open flued appliance compartment ventilation through which it seeks ventilation from outside provided by an adjoining room is humungous and impractical.

You need to find out is it open flued, what is the maximum net heat input in btu or kw and we will tell you what sized vents the room the doorless cupboard is in must have.

If you don't check this out thoroughly your applinace could be in a dangerous condition and it could kill you and yours.

Sponsored Links
Don't think we are bneinmg melodramatic, it is nausiatingly frequent that we find open flued appliances with no ventilation. I was at one just yesterday, not only that but they had a dfe fire also with no ventilation. The nice old middle class couple looked at me like I was speaking double dutch when I explained they had both always needed it. Despite my fairly good carbon monoxide lecture (which is delivered from a nurses knowledge of a and p and a gas fitters knowledge of the combustion process) they still had the foolishness to ask me to pretend that I hadn't seen the fire.

I mean it leaves you speachless, especially after recent events.

Do you know what really bothers me about this. The ventilation requirments haven't changed. These appliances have been installed by corgi registered people and though sporadically maintained. One of them is an E type, you can't say that in it's lnog life nobody corgi registered has been to it.

I know it's easy to slander ghritish bas, but the ones which they use to sell new boilers on the back of, are the worst of all, these are customers who have had a gritish bas service contract with so every year they serviced the boiler but didn't do the ventilation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's no limit to how foolish we, as humans, can be. Here am I, not an RGI, in receipt of the following text from a landlord:

"pls cn u do me a gas certificate when you fix the toilet?".

Softus: "Sorry Steve, I don't do gas work".

Steve: "Can you backdate it to December?".

:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back