Boiler incorrectly "repaired", damage cause - what

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a Keston C36 (unfortunately) inside a kitchen cabinet which sprang a leak. The repairman identified that the cause was the failure of the bottom sleeve on the internal exhaust flue, the rubber of which was clearly shafted. He was struggling to fit the replacement, something about the Jubilee clips (Keston ordered) not opening wide enough. Either way, he declared the work done.

6 weeks later, I noticed that the wood at the bottom of the kitchen cabinet has all swollen up from what looks like water damage. I found out that the leak was coming from the bottom sleeve inside the boiler which just looks incorrectly fitted. This is dripping and being soaked up by the kitchen cabinet, which will now need replacing as well.

What do I do? Can I demand he come back and fix it for free? Can I claim damages from him for the cost of the cabinet? Should I get someone else in to verify that this was incorrectly done and pay them to fix it, then bill the original guy? Is it just my problem that the guy didn't do an accurate job and I have to suck it up?

Would love some advice here - thanks in advance!

Regards

Sponsored Links
How do you come to the conclusion that the damage did not result from the original leak that you called the RGI to fix?

I always ask/expect that a customer will check after a repair for a few days that nothing is leaking any more.

That joint on the Kestons is difficult to fit. Although I have never had any problem getting them to be water tight.

But I don't use the over priced Jubilee clips from Keston spares.

Its also wise to replace the top one at the same time.

A DIYer should not be removing the case front as that forms the room sealed part of the combustion process.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for all your time!

I have a friend who's an electrician & is gas safe, but said he doesn't know Kestons well so he just popped the lid off to have a glance as I'd seen what the repair man had done and I wanted to be able to pop him a photo in case there was anything obvious (and the leak is really obvious).

Fair point, but the original sleeve was clearly ruined and the new one still looks fine, is leaking from between the sleeve and the flue rather than a crack in the sleeve & to be honest (in my unprofessional opinion) just doesn't look like it's on how it should be. It's more a suspicion than anything else.

The reason I didn't notice the leak immediately is that it seems to only happen with heavy hot water use - shower or washing machine, not with central heating or washing hands/dishes.

He did mention the Keston clips were just overpriced Jubilee clips but said that it's best to stick to regulation spares, he had also ordered a replacement top sleeve and did replace the existing one because it cracked during the procedure.

It's nice to have a bit of reassurance from the fact that he said the same stuff you've mentioned here, the bloke was a very nice guy and I do really want to be able to trust him. I did actually take a picture of the replacement sleeve fitting, would you be adverse to giving me a second opinion on just how the sleeves have been fitted - does it look obviously wrong...? It's completely possible that the parts have just failed etc and I have no idea what I'm talking about...

Thanks again

Regards

Post a photo. Have you asked him to come back and have a look?

Sponsored Links
Will do tonight (it's on my laptop at home).

Haven't asked him (or anyone else) to have a look yet, only discovered the leak yesterday. Have just turned the boiler off and trying to get some idea of what to do next.

So here are the best pics I could get. I appreciate it's difficult to see much, but it just looks like the top sleeve might be a bit lower than it should be and more importantly on the bottom sleeve, the jubilee clips aren't in the right place (In my unprofessional opinion!).

Top Sleeve:

Bottom Sleeve:

Looks like you are correct. Ask him back to remake the joint, dry it out first if possible.

Thanks for checking. I'm planning on calling him today, but would I be expected to pay for him to come out again?

If it is found to be bad workmanship or its just leaking from the new joint (it happens to all of us sometime), then no.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back