boiler keep firing far more often than usual ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've a potterton suprima boiler.
It keep lighting up and running for 30 between 5 - 30 seconds. Far more often then it usually does.
I've turned my heating circuit off and also turned down the hot water tank to 60C, but the problem is still there.
It's the water that it's trying to heat but why so often when none has been used.

Could my thermostat on the water tank be faulty? Turning it down did reduce temperature of hot water.

I know the circuit boards go faulty but i thought this just causes then to fail to light ?

Some times when on just the green light is lit. Other times green and red.

Thanks in advance,
Kev

Sponsored Links
May well be a jammed motorised valve pin switch calling the boiler on.

You need to get a multimeter on the switched live input to the boiler, after removing the right hand metalwork. Disconnect this cable only from the terminal block first, as a digi multimeter is very sensitive and may 'see' somthing coming back from the PCB and give an erroneous indication.

If it is always on there is a problem with the controls. If it's not, you have a boiler problem.

The above assumes you are competent with electricity.

Sponsored Links
If no hot water being used, turn it off!

I do use hot water, but i mean the boiler is coming on and off far too much when hot water has not been used (so should just be keeping the tank content at temp). Turning the boiler off and then on before i want to use hot water is not a sensible idea, as it would take ages to warm the tank.

May well be a jammed motorised valve pin switch calling the boiler on.

You need to get a multimeter on the switched live input to the boiler, after removing the right hand metalwork. Disconnect this cable only from the terminal block first, as a digi multimeter is very sensitive and may 'see' somthing coming back from the PCB and give an erroneous indication.

If it is always on there is a problem with the controls. If it's not, you have a boiler problem.

The above assumes you are competent with electricity.

Ok Thanks i'll check out at the 3 way motorised valve end. I did have a problem with this valve and replaced the head 6 months ago, with a new one. Yes i'm fine with electricity...

If I turn both the HW and the CH off at the controller, then the boiler won't fire, so am I right to doubt the boiler at fault?

Thanks,
Kev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back