boiler keeps cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i do hope you can solve this for me we have a potterton 80 combi boiler,its 10 years old now.
when you turn a tap on to high,then turn it off you can hear the boiler still running, the pressure seems to build up , then the boiler makes a real heavy noise,bangs,clunks then cuts out,it sounds like there is air trapped.

if you only turn a tap on half way its fine,same as the shower turn it full on then off the same happens ,it a gainsbough power shower.
i then have to keep pressing the reset button,everytime this happens,as the boiler cuts out,unless you reset it theres no hot water.
it only used to happen maybe once aweek,now its everytime i use the tap,

just recently my husband changed the pipework from the boiler running upstairs to the bathroom because it was an old lead pipe,which we came across through gutting our kitchen,
it seems to be a build up of pressure,the funny thing is i can hear the boiler building up sometimes so i rush to the tap turn it on the water then pours out with such a pressure behind it and dangerously hot,then its cold where its cut out,then i reset it again.

it seems so odd,we have blead the rads,which we do quite often, the bathroom one holds air sometimes,each one has its own thermostat.

please advise
thanks
andrea[/b]

Sponsored Links
Hello,

firstly this might be dangerous so I wouldn't use the hot water for now.

Secondly Can you and your husband just check that now he has done some pipework, the cold pipe going into the boiler is still the cold one and the hot pipe coming out is still the hot one. Some boilers can work in reverse but quite catastrophically (did I spell that right?).

thirdly I am not actually familiar with the boiler, but the symptoms are not good and really warrant you calling in a local repair man. It might seem a lot of money but Baxipotterton Heat Team do a guarnateed fix, not sure the price maybe it's £180.

First you should make sure the pipework is the correct way round going into the boiler if so you need an expert. Otherwise correct the pipework fault.

You have either

Left a section of pipework (a dead leg) that contains air. As you turn off the hot tap the water still flows compressing the air within the pipe.

Or more likely the boiler flow switch is sticking. This is a very commom Puma design fault. Remove the two screws (underneath) holding the front panel on. Turn the tap on full and note the red LED light on the circuit board. Turn the tap off and see if the light stays on. If so the flowswitch assembly requires replacement.

The part is around £30.00 + labour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back