Boiler Leak Woes!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Not sure if you can help. Long story short is about 10 months ago we had some major problems with our Chaff Britony Combi Boiler which is situated in our loft. Had a leak for some time, which ended up with engineers coming out at least 11 times due to misdiagnosis and cock ups etc.. Eventually got parts replaced which fixed the leak and all has been fine for now.

We had a guy come out to do a service on 16th Dec and when he took the casing off the boiler, the control board (or whatever you call it) apparently fell down causing a wire to fall out, he fixed this eventually and is coming back to replace whatever was broken.

My question is since he has been, I have noticed in the tray we leave under the boiler (as I am still paranoid about another leak appearing) a very small amount of water which seems to appear during the day, it is dry when we leave for work in the morning and when we get in there is probably I would say a teaspoon amount of water in the tray, I'm wondering if this is another leak appearing or perhaps condensation/moisture in the loft pooling in the tray - obviously it is extremely cold at the moment. Have had a feel around over the pipes and the boiler and can't feel any moisture or water, although I can't remove the casing as I don't want the bloody control panel to fall out again!

Just wanted some advice really!! Boiler and central heating working fine, we don't appear to be losing any pressure or hot water etc. We do have very noisy radiators, I have bled them a couple of times this month in case but doesn't seem to have helped.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sorry can anyone advise with this?

I think the previous problem last time started with a new auto air vent needed. I've looked online a bit and read it could be the overpressure valve..

I'm clutching at straws here because I just want the leak to be easily explained without the need for another 11 bg visits..!

Give yourself a new boiler as an xmas pressie. You have a bag of bolts up there. :(

People will have read your message, look at the 'views'. No-one has replied. Surely that tells you something!. Please dont go down the route of annoying custards... phone.. leave a message, and then phone every 20 minutes after. WE HAVE YOUR MESSAGE. we will call back as soon as we can. The same applies here.

Paul.

Sponsored Links
what gassafeman said, get rid of the that pile of .... and get a decent combi put in.

Thanks to both of you for your responses, apologies for bumping up the message.

Would love to get a new boiler, but getting married in April so finances are stretched to say the least..!

BG man did suggest a Worcester Junior as a replacement - although he said BG costs would be extremely high. can anyone give me a rough ballpark figure of what a new boiler plus installation should cost?

Boiler is in the loft, don't know if this affects the cost.

Being in the loft may affect the cost, depending on how well fitted-out your loft is.

Because of the increased importance put on safety, it would be normal for installers to say that there has to be safe access ( permanently-fitted loft-ladder ?) and safe working-area i.e. lighting and the loft boarded so they are not balancing on joists.

Having said that, since you have had BG round lots, then it must be acceptable.

I'm not in the gas business but I looked on another forum and since this is a frequent question, there were varied respones from pnds 2,000 to pnds 2, 800 depending on area, how much work involved, system flushing etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back