boiler made loud bang, shook house, smelled of burning oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler heats the house and hot water. Last night it made a big bank that shook the whole house. When I went to the basement to take a look there was a terrible smell like burning oil and the furnace room was hazy.
A lot of service people in the states don't know boilers.
So what are the things in a boiler that could cause this and how serious is this?? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
depends on type of boiler., depends how the burner is mounted ie downward firing,
depends when its was serviced last?

and so on and so forth.

It is serviced every year by a oil company that has been in the business for some time, although last year they went out a few questionable servicemen that left air in the line and such. The boiler is and Emerald made in Pennsylvania. I think the burner is mounted for downward firing?
How many things can go wrong that cause a hugh bomb noise? and burn oil after the noise? I need a differential diagnosis...a few possibles?

call the people that service your boiler.

they will know. trust me.

Sponsored Links
The usual cause of a mini explosion is late ignition when the boiler is filled with explosive mixture.

Thats usually as a result of needing a service.

Oil boilers can get very dirty if not regularly serviced.

Tony

if oil, and its a donward burner, it could be a leakage from the burner causing oil to collect at the bottem housing.could be :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back