Boiler Making Strange Noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm having some real problems with my boiler at the moment and I'm wondering if anyone can offer some advice.

I have a wall-mounted Biasi 24S which appears to be a 2000 model and, until last night, was working wonderfully.
This morning it was making a strange sort of rattling noise from the water pump as if there was some sort of vibration coming through the pipes. I accidentally shut the boiler off and the noise stopped.
When I tried to turn it back on, the water pump made a horrible screeching noise, kind of like the noise a knackered car starter-motor makes. After which it settled down into the vibrating rattle it was making earlier. The water pump was scorchingly hot to the touch and the boiler would not light, although I could hear the solenoid clicking. I turned it off and left it off until I came home from work this evening.
When I checked this evening, the gas pressure gauge showed somewhere between 1 and 2 bars of pressure, but after futzing with it some more trying to get it started, the pressure has dropped to 0 and won't move from there. The water pump is still making the horrible screech noise when I start it up and again settles into vibrating rattle after a few seconds but it's no longer scorchingly hot.

I know that this is a long post but I have tried to be both accurate and concise - not always easy/possible.

If anyone can help, even if it's just by telling me what they think needs fixing, I'll be very grateful as I currently have no heat or hot water - which is not the nicest thing in the world in early April.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
sounds like there is an air in the pump are the pump is nackered

Thanks. It did occur to me that there may be air in the pump, but the system has been fine for 18 months and we haven't changed anything.
I've also tried bleeding air from the pump tonight but it made absolutely no difference.

I must admit that I'm leaning towards it being a faulty pump, but I was looking for some other opinions (or the same one from other people :))before I start asking for quotes to get it fixed.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back