Boiler next to window ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Forum,

I am now totally confused as one corgi engineer advised not to have a combi boiler put up to the wall next to the window whislt the British Gas guy says it is ok. Both use the same boiler.

What is the limitation as to the space from the window and/or what are the problem by having a boiler next to the window? please help. thanks

Sponsored Links
Trust me beleive bg guy. Depends what boiler you go for. usually regulation is 300mm away from openable window. other guy probably told you not to have it so close as the plume from boiler will fog it jup. but flue management kits are available to direct fumes in different directions.

Why should they believe the BG guy? he's only going on the same reg's as everyone else & they get it wrong as often as anyone else, sometimes more.
It depends on the window, if it opens it must be 300mm away from it, if there's no opener on it then it's 150mm, but even then other things might come into play, such as does the pluming cause a problems etc.

howay as long as the bill is paid who gives a flying freaking BG don't
unless they turn up on one of our jobs then the knives are out :evil:

Sponsored Links
Hi guys, thanks for your constructive feedback/comments. The boiler is Worcester Bosch 42CDi (width 440mm). The space we have is 650mm and the window can be kept close if this needed be.
Where do I get the regulation about the space?.
Can boiler be also next to a fridge?

Thanks again for your helps

Bg charge top dollar for a shoddy job. Save yourself a wedge of cash (and disappointment) and find someone local. bg sub out most of their installs anyway. . . .

Dear Forum,

Can you pls advise whether there is any dangerous when the boiler is installed next to a cooker ? and/or minimum distance between these equiptments
Thanks again for your help

minimum distance from cooker is same as clearance required by manufacturer read the previously posted link.
there is no problem with them being side by side
the window problem is easily solved by fitting the plume management kit to take flue gases up and away. again WB's litrature gives more details

Dangermouse, what percentage is sub'd out to contractors? Do you know?
What area are you talking about?

It's a pretty bold statement. Where I work, no work is getting put to contractors.

A lot of new installs I se don't have earth bonding,don't have elec isolation, condensate termination anywhere etc........BGAS do do that properly (on most occasions,sometimes condensate still not done correctly)

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

A lot of new installs I see don't have earth bonding

thats because a lot dont need it

I am no sparky but as I understand it when my spark wires my boilers up, that with the new 17th you do not need to bond "most" boilers now, however there are certain installs you do. Don't ask me as I am a plumber not a spark. :rolleyes:

The correct info on this subject is that the Flue not the boiler must be 300mm from the opening window.
From what ive read nobody has mentioned this subtle difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back