Boiler noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can someone help we've got an old Halstead Boiler which fires and runs and hot water gets quickly to the pump which appears to be working (screwdriver test) runs freely. It then slows and stops circulating with lots of banging and bumping and then the thermostat shuts off the boiler. We descaled the system last year inlcluding taking out and descaling the heat exchanger. Everything worked fine.

In September we switched on and it worked fine for two or three days then this problem began. The system has been drained and refilled half a dozen times so there is now no longer any fernox in the system but the water runs clear.

Does anyone have any ideas, has the pump had it?

Thanks in advance Mackredie :confused:

Sponsored Links
I once found a pump which went open circuit when it got hot!

Tony

Thanks Tony could well be, how did you establish that and I take it the pump needed replacement.

regards Mackredie

i would go for the pump .. halsteads were not the best of build boiler. good luck .

Sponsored Links
2face Thanks for your replies Halstead been very good for thirteen years. Many repairs later there is still nothing wrong with the boiler!

fitz1 impellers may well be 'broken' water pumps have very little to do with gas :rolleyes: :LOL:

Sorted

I would say there is a strong chance the pump is knackered the banging and the stat cutting the boiler off is caused by the latent heat at the boiler end i.e the pump is not circulating the heat away from the boiler quick enough hence it bangs, overheats, cuts off. Change the pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back