boiler not firing on HW setting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I wonder if anyone can help with my HW problem, CH is working fine but I have no HW, the relay on the programmer clicks and red light comes on when set to HW but boiler does not fire up, the system is quite old and all the componants seem to be honeywell, there is a thermostat on the cylinder and what I think is a 2 way valve on a pipe at the side of the cylinder, If I put the CH on and manually open the valve with the little lever underneath and click it into place leaving it open then the water in the cylinder will get hot, this will only work with the CH on and will not work if only the HW is on.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Sponsored Links
pcrepairman said:
what I think is a 2 way valve on a pipe at the side of the cylinder
It's a zone valve and is probably faulty.

Make sure the power gets to it when you call for hot water and that the neutral wire is connected properly... ie. no neutral fault. Then either replace the head of the valve, or the full valve as required.

Normally you only need to replace the full valve if:-
1. the spindle on the brass body is hard to move
2. the valve body is leaking
3. the head is no longer available or is not replaceable

Thanks for the response, I think you have solved it for me, when i turn on the HW nothing happens at the Zone valve, I will check the voltage getting to it and check the microswitch i found in there also.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
If you like playing about with stuff like that you will probably find that its the synchron motor inside which has gone. You can buy these separately and save some dosh. However if I had the same set-up and mine went I would just renew the full head as I dont trust the 'cap' type connectors you find inside.
Glad to be of assistance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back