Boiler not firing up again, cycles only once (Vaillant)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vaillant VC15/1 T 3 WDH boiler which is about 20 years old now. It has developed a number of problems.

Firstly, to fire the boiler, the thermostat in the lounge needs to be turned on and then the heater control turned on and the boiler pump then starts and the boiler appears to start but does not fire up. To get it to fire I need to press and hold for about five seconds a black rocker switch at the bottom of the boiler behind the panel which opens to show the pressure dial.

The boiler then works until the demand is met and then switches off. When the house gets cold and the demand is needed again, the boiler appears to go, but again does not fire up and required you to press the switch.

I do not know if, when the boiler is apparently doing something if it is releasing gas or not. Pressing the black rocker switch does not cause a clicking sound. The pilot light is always lit, so I don't believe it is putting out gas unless I push the rocker switch which I'm guessing is a reset switch. It is not shown on the manual I have for the boiler. This is the main problem I have with the boiler.

The other two issues I have is firstly the boiler looses all pressure over a period of around one week. It then needs to be refilled from the filler tap to bring the pressure up to one bar again. Probably the over pressure value needs replacing or there is a leak somewhere.

The second issue, which is I believe because the value for the HW/CH needs to be replaced is that we always get both hot water and central heating no matter what is selected. I believe the value is stuck. Trying to change it manually via the level inside the box on the valve does not do anything, so I assume it's just broken and needs replacing. This causes us to have VERY hot, hot water. I'm concerned leaving the boiler on too long will cause the hot water to get too hot and boil, but I don't know if this will happen or not.

It's the first issue, the one where I have to keep on pushing the button which causes the most trouble as it means I can't leave the system on at night as the house gets too hot. So therefore I need to turn it off at night and thus the house gets quite cold.

Can any recommend what is wrong with the system? Are these problems repairable? Can someone recommend someone in the Essex (Basildon) area who could fix the boiler, without having to replace it? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Your boiler is quite old and there are few engineers who have the experience or the determination to repair them. Most will just tell you its time for a new boiler.

Your boiler IS repairable but finding someone who will be prepared to do it will be very difficult !

Unfortunately you have apparently ignored faults as they developed! The weekly repressurising will have caused sludge to build up. It should be pretty obvious where the leak is. Usually either the PRV or the AAV !

I suspect the main problem is the system flow switch is not operating reliably as a result of reduced flow caused by the sludge.

I used to know what that rocker switch does but I cannot remember now. It may force it to the low gas rate? Perhaps Chris R knows?

Tony

You need the831bunny to come on for advice. Don't know where he is based, but he would certainly know how to sort it for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back