Boiler not to current regulations !!

You did not specify the height of your ladder.

i apologise captain pedant. my ladder is roughly able to reach the eaves of a bungalow or the underfloor area of the upper floor of a two story house. (exact measurements available on your request directly after hell freezes over).

blind man said:
Your fairly comprehensive posting did not seem to differentiate between straight out horizontal discharge ( the worst ) and straight down discharge

nickso said:
that generally means anything above a childs waist is likely to be labled AR. there was no specific mention of whether a straight down termination at low level was unsuitable for all those who prefer that. the concern was entirely for a termination pointing straight out of a wall over a patio for example. as a result of this grey area and leaving it up to the engineers own feelings for it there will be a great variation in outcomes.

blind man said:
I would take the view that ANY horizontal discharge is potentially dangerous if within say 6 m of the ground level.

nickso said:
a solid stream of scalding water on your bald head whilst you sip a cocktail on your patio is entirely undesirable IMO.

blind man said:
A downward discharge possibly becomes more dangerous with an increase in height.

nickso said:
my presonal feeling is there is probably no safe way to terminate a potentially high flow of 100+degree water at heights above the waist. any of the current methods obviously involve gravity showering people underneath with water. terminating it against a wall or using the proper termination pieces should hopefully give a spray of water that is more likely to cool quicker and maybe give you time to escape with only a minor hot shower.

you seem to have not read my entire post. :confused:

if you are trying to say that any horizontal termination is unsafe at any distance below 6m then i believe you to be wrong. that is however my own opinion as i dont believe anything under a metre is a significant risk to anyone. thats my belief, it may not be yours.

Sponsored Links
I am often more concerned about the possibility of small children LESS than 1 m tall playing under a discharge point when it has not been taken down close to ground level.

That discharge will envelop most of their tiny bodies than your 6 ft bald man sipping his cocktails who might just get burnt on a leg or arm etc.

Much of a vertical discharge will just run down the wall whereas a horizontal discharge will be able to focus the entire discharge in a small area some distance away from the wall where your bald friend is sipping.....

How many people have seen a prv go because a boiler has got too hot , it is the third line of defence after boiler stat and overheat stat OR a failed gas valve.
It must happen but never seen it happen or have any of mates.

Not talking about failed pressure vessel as this would usually start to drip first as opposed to a full opening and discharge of red hot water

I honestly think this AR stuff by BG is a money making exercise as BG only ever where interested in the gas regs and disregarded anything to do with water by laws or electrical regs such as bonding and where only ever to mention it to customers

I am often more concerned about the possibility of small children LESS than 1 m tall playing under a discharge point when it has not been taken down close to ground level.

its certainly a risk. a significant one? i dont think so. less so if its terminated to the wall.

That discharge will envelop most of their tiny bodies than your 6 ft bald man sipping his cocktails who might just get burnt on a leg or arm etc.

thats a guess isnt it.

Much of a vertical discharge will just run down the wall whereas a horizontal discharge will be able to focus the entire discharge in a small area some distance away from the wall where your bald friend is sipping.....

again a guess. lets be honest, a lot of factors will be in play if either of those scenarios happens.

namsag said:
How many people have seen a prv go because a boiler has got too hot , it is the third line of defence after boiler stat and overheat stat OR a failed gas valve.
It must happen but never seen it happen or have any of mates.

good point, must admit i haven't.

I honestly think this AR stuff by BG is a money making exercise as BG only ever where interested in the gas regs and disregarded anything to do with water by laws or electrical regs such as bonding and where only ever to mention it to customers

i disagree, most of it is an arse covering exercise like so much of BG's red tape. i doubt many round here have been charged, not for the easy ones anyway. i have given one quote for this issue. it was for an unvented tprv point discharging horizontally 6ft above his decking area with all the seats nicely arranged below it, i reckoned that had far more potential for injury even though the chances of it actually happening are akin to winning the lottery.....probably. he declined anyway, thats fair enough.

i have paperwork in the van to use for poor or missing bonding. were told to disregard plumbing or water byelaw issues on the terminal but tell the customer if we thought it appropiate. most dont, most customers fall asleep while you are telling them about it.

Sponsored Links
I have seen a sticking on gas valve overheating a boiler on an open vented system. It made the whole loft very wet with condensed steam.

Once I used a PRV on the third floor to let some water out of the system. Apparently the lady on the ground floor said later that her rabbits had got wet!

Tony

You aint lived agile 1 failed gas valve . Seen it loads of times
Opened a prv once and woman looked out to see what the noise was at back door and got covered in fowl smelling cold water.

One day just for the crack i am going to open the prv on my mate as he is doing the elbow. He can be a miseerable git at the best of times. :LOL: :LOL:

One day just for the crack i am going to open the prv on my mate as he is doing the elbow. He can be a miseerable git at the best of times. :LOL: :LOL:

is that likely to improve his outlook? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back