Boiler pipework insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

Quick question.

I've just had a new boiler fitted but there's no insulation on any of the new pipework to/from the boiler. On the old boiler all the pipe work was insulated but when that was installed the storeroom it was installed in would have been outside the house. We have extended slightly so it is now part of the main building. Is this why they haven't insulated the pipes...or have they just forgotten!?

Cheers,

Mark

Sponsored Links
Or just haven't bothered their A$$.

Get them back to complete the job, it's in the building regs - Part L - for new installations!

I realise all airing cupboard pipework needs insulation to comply, but when was it a requirement to insulate flow and returns back to the boiler if its within the building? Not saying its wrong, but just asking when was it a requirement?

Or just haven't bothered their A$$.

Get them back to complete the job, it's in the building regs - Part L - for new installations!

You're absolutely right it is in the regs isn't it. Thanks.

I've just called them and been told by the girl on the phone that the pipework doesn't need insulating if the boiler is in the main part of the house. i pointed out that's not what the regs seem to say and she (rather huffily) agreed to get one of their technical people to call me back. Be interesting to see what he says.

Like 45yearsagasman I'd be interested to know when the regs changed.

Sponsored Links
I may have to apologise for making assumptions though that the main flow and return are under the floor that is ventilated from an outside space or is outside the heated space?
It's contained in the Part L - 2nd Tier reference - ADL1 - Domestic Building Services Compliance Guide, 2013 Edition’. We covered it when doing our Part L - Energy Efficiency Cert

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back