Boiler Playing Up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an idea icos HE15 boiler. When I came home after a weekend away the control unit was off. Checked the boiler and the fuse in the plug had blown. Water had leaked from one of the filling loops onto the cable from the Hot water two port valve and shorted the system out. When I unclipped the cable one of the pins snapped so would no longer fire I have had a plumber round who has replaced the filling loop that was leaking and after checking the 2 port valve was still functioning advised to get a sparky to junction the wires rather than replace both parts due to the cable end on them.

I have been using the manual override to get the CH system working as it wont fire when turned on from the downstairs control unit and it has been working ok after bleeding the radiators and repressurising. Last night I had the emmersion heater on for a couple of hours to get the water hot but when I turned it off and got in bed I started to hear running water. I checked the boiler and all of the hot water was draining through this (The black bit with the hole in it)

It ran for about 30 minutes then stopped. When I checked this morning the boiler pressure was down at 0 again. The only thing the plumber did when he was round was drain the system by turning something on the red tank at the back and replacing the filling loop.

One of the other things I have noticed is that when I repressurise, the needle shoots from 0 to 1 in a second and then takes alot longer when going up towards 1.5. I have read in the FAQ's that this could be to do with trapped air?

I am no plumber so if the above is rubbish I apologies but wondered if anyone could tell me why all the water drained out last night and what if anything can I do myself or do I need a plumber out again. A few more images below

Thanks
Brent

Sponsored Links
Is the pipe chrome, or has it just been painted?

Is the water come from around the top or through a hole in the bottom?, it may be a pressure relief valve if you are running a sealed system.

The expansion vessel needs re-charging. You cant compress water so that's why the pressure whizzs from 0 to 1bar instantly.

When running the boiler the hot water expands in the system, the pressure buildsup to over 3bar and is then dumped into the tundish (the black plastic bit on the pipe work) which seems to be splashing over your cables.

Get a central heating engineer, not a plumber :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back