Boiler pressure question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before asking this, I confirm I have read the FAQ's, but haven't spotted the information I need.

My Worcester Bosch boiler recently had its annual service by British Gas. As it's in the loft I don't have the opportunity to see it often. However about two weeks after it was serviced I noticed it's running at higher pressure than normal, as low as 2 bar but often just under 3 bar. The filling key hasn't been left in by the way.

Am I right to think that it should be running at 1 bar ish?
What damage will be done running at the higher pressure?
Do I reduce pressure just by emptying water from a radiator?

The heating system doesn't seem to be heating radiators so good lately. Is this relevant?

Sponsored Links
You should check your boiler and its operating regularly where ever its fitted.

In the loft ( only ) it should be set to about 1.0 Bar when cold !

It should then increase to only about 1.3 Bar when hot.

You can take water out by bleeding a rad but it seems its needs further attention.

It sounds as if there may be issues with the EXV ( see FAQ on this site! ).

Nice of British Gas to do a service when they were passing! Why did they choose to do that?

Tony

just checked the ex v valve, depressed the pin expecting water, but nothing, not even a hiss of air (system was running at the time).

Do I switch off the heating and pump up (to what pressure please)?

Ta

Sponsored Links
Follow the FAQ on this site exactly ( apart from the 10 litres bit ).

But it could be argued that BG should have done that on their service. Not only done it but CHECKED that it was absorbing expansion correctly.

So in my view you have a complaint against them and they should return to do the job properly.

The downside is that many BG staff do not repressure then correctly!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back