Boiler problem - Ideal Mini S24

KS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Typically, on Christmas day my boiler decides to pack up! It is an Ideal Mini S24, and appeared to be running ok with both CH and HW. It was running a little high on pressure about 2 bars, and I think the valve had been left open as it has gone up to 2.5 bars. Could this have caused it to stop working? If so, can any one tell me how I should de-pressurise the system? Is it just a case of releasing water from the lowest radiator or is there a simpler method? I have bled all the radiators and, apart from one, none had air in.

Any help / advice is very much appreciated!
My best
KS

Sponsored Links
pressure being a bit high shouldn't stop it working.

does the boiler do anything/make any noises when you try the heating or hot water

Hi Mick,
No noises really, just a attempt to start up, then fast flashing of the green LED. There is no pilot light either. I have tried the reset button, but to no avail I am afraid.
I was being hopeful re: the pressure, it has been high before and worked fine, although not as high as 2.5 bars.

Best
KS

Fast flashing of the green led is probably a fault code. The manual should tell you what it means.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Yes drain some water off from a convenient drain off point. The boiler has one behind the pump and to the right of it. It is opened using a radiator bleed key.

Fast flashing LED is indeed a fault present. You need to open the plastic cover to the front left of the pcb to access the dip switches. I believe it is the far right one that you have to move down then back up to enter fault finding mode.

The sequence of the LED's on the board then tell you what the fault is.

If you have ever had to do this is it difficult to identify faults by simply watching a sequence of lights?

On Vaillant do you diagnose faults only from the display?

I am afraid that I can't figure out the fault from this, the manual indicates (although I could have missed something) - the fast flashing, according to the manual, indicates a 'fault' - but it doesn't specify. There are some codes but these are from a series of three LED's and I only have two, so I am somewhat confused!

there are 3 led's...2 of them are hidden inside the pcb cover. you need to open up the boiler, remove the pcb cover like gas4you said

Fast flashing LED is indeed a fault present. You need to open the plastic cover to the front left of the pcb to access the dip switches. I believe it is the far right one that you have to move down then back up to enter fault finding mode.

Hi All,
Sorry, I had missed Dave's post - many thanks for the advice. I have drained off some water (now reading 2 bars - is that sufficient?) and have located the fault codes. There is this combination:
1st Light (green): FLASHING
2nd Light (red): ON
3rd Light (orange): OFF
From the installation manual this is a: FAULTY PRIMARY CIRCUIT (no water or absence of flow).

Can any one advise further please - I am at a loss!

or.... the pump proofing switch is not making

a: a faulty miroswitch
b: a faulty diaphragm
c: the little hole in the pump proofing diaphragm housing is blocked with dirt

This sounds serious! Boiler is only a few years old so it seems odd that the pump has gone. Is there someway I can check? Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back