Boiler problems, power flush, new parts...Advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a ICI Caldaie Solar 80E boiler and have many problems over the past year where the boiler works, hot water only works or the whole thing just wont work!

I am part of a heating scheme where i can have unlimited calls out through out the year and this has helped a few times but usualy what happens is the boiler packs up again after a few weeks.

Recently, i have had a new pump fitted and the engineer has told me that i need a power flush (£275+vat) and that the following parts which i have to pay for as they are not covered by the agreement,

a new heat exchanger as it is blocked £156.93 plus vat P/N 50000105

a new heat exchanger as blocked £153.41 plus vat P/N 50000110

and then 8 hours labour at £65 p/h (sounds like a rip off to me!!)

a grand total of £1105.34 + vat

I have reading up about 'power flush' and it seems that the obvious sign is where your radiators are cold at the bottom and hot at the top. Now, when my raidators do work, i have checked all radiators and they are hot all over. So would i need a power flush?

I am not to sure why the boiler only works sometimes but it is very frustrating and am now starting to belive i could need a power flush. Would a powerflush help with my system?

However, are there any alternatives to a power flush? I have heard about some chemicals that i can buy but cant find a website for them.

In a worse case scenerio, i do not want to pay over a grand for a power flush and two parts, so surely a new boiler would be a cheaper option?

Sponsored Links
Personnaly I would put the ICI Solar in a skip and fit a decent condensing combi , a Magnaclean (or similar) and a scale reducing unit such as a combi mate or preferably a Water Softener

THe ICI Caldaire is a heap of carp! ;)

Yh I have heard its not the best of boilers which is why I initialy took out the contract. I've read into the parts and the reason I have to pay for the parts is because they have been damaged by sludge and therefore need a powerflush! If I get a new bolier, would I need a powerflush? Also is it likely that the damage has been caused by sludge? Like I said before, when the bolier has worked ine the past, the whole radiator warms up.

I would chemically clean your boiler for less than a third of your budget!

But to do that would need the radiator system to be reasonably clean and that you have parking vouchers on a match day!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Its not my budget, its the price ive been told to make my boiler work.

Feel slighlty conned from Eon heating care engineers as they have seen my boiler on a number of call outs and not once mentioned power flushing or sludge and now they want me to pay for a power flush and pay for the parts that have been effected by the sludge.

I will give them a ring tommorow as they should have at least informed me that i should have a power flush or had sludge in the system instead of lettting it build up and damage the parts!

EON should stick to supplying utillites and leave the Servicing of appliances to perople who know what they are doing!! :rolleyes:

I have worked on this boiler a few times. Look like what is being offered is a no loss quote (you the end user unlikely to accept the quote so the service provider walks- should you accept, the service provider most likely will be unable to fix the boiler due to lack of systematic method of fault location as is evident from your post)

What is needed is someone who knows how to fix boilers and is not a part changer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back