Boiler Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I live in a bungalow with an Ideal Classic NF40 boiler that was installed (open vented system - rear flue) when the house was built in 1994. The boiler was moved from the garage up to the loft when my garage was "converted" about 15 years ago. The boiler has been serviced every year (by BG) and has been (and remains) totally reliable and "trouble free", other than three new fans have been fitted "over the years", the most recent (a genuine Ideal fan) in February this year, so I have have no real desire whatsoever to replace it unless I have to. My basis view is "if it ain't bust don't fix it" !
Will it last for ever ?!
If / when it is replaced what make of boiler is recommended these days. I would just want a "staight" heat only open vented replacement with no "smart controls" or "bells and whistles"? I favour reliability, peace of mind and simplicity over high-tech and "saving money".
All views and opinions very welcome.
Many thanks.
PS. I have heard that Intergas are well regarded ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Pserviced every year (by BG)
Doubtful - poke and go maybe.
PS. I have heard that Intergas are well regarded ?
Depends who you ask, I did like them, but started to go off them as I am fitting more and more failing parts. As for make/model you can ask 100 engineers and get several different answers. I wouldn’t get it replaced by BG, maybe a local independent engineer. Your Ideal boiler is apparently one of the best they’ve ever made, and better than a lot of other boilers (so I’ve read on here).

The smallest Intergas will be too powerful for your property. Your existing boiler is around 10kW, the smallest Intergas is 18kW. Ideal Classics are pretty bulletproof though, and spares are mostly available.

Apropos of nothing, I'd quickly add that my Ideal Classic 250 FF was fitted when our house was built in 1996 and, 27 years later, is soldiering on despite my constant threats to fit something else in its place. It's been discussed on here once or twice and I've changed my mind more times than I'll admit to .... another heat only, a combi, a sealed system, keep the open vent system ... or keep the same boiler ... which is where we still are.

It's had two fans, a gas valve an air pressure switch, gallons of inhibitor and a couple of cold water flushes.

Luckily I have a tame bloke who treats me kindly (he keeps trying to talk me into an Ideal combi and very nearly succeeded, so much so that we ran a 28mm gas supply near to the point where it would go - and I fitted a dedicated 22mm water supply solely for the use of the proposed combi. But I saw the light and saw sense.

At this rate it'll see me and the Mrs. out.

Sponsored Links
The smallest Intergas will be too powerful for your property. Your existing boiler is around 10kW, the smallest Intergas is 18kW.
A couple of years ago I got 4 quotes (1 from BG and 3 from "local firms") and they all suggested 18kW !! I have 10 radiators and 2 bathrooms.

I have an ideal classic HE, the last iteration - with a recuperator fitted that makes it relatively efficient.

I have a "spare" brand new and boxed Ideal Classic HE9 and flue in my loft that I bought years ago when they could no longer be fitted.

I can't decide whether to save it for my retirement bungalow or sell it on eBay - I'm sure there's plenty out there who will "extensively" replace many parts on their existing with it, in the style of Triggers broom!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back