Boiler quotations - Exactly what to look for?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a quotation which was lacking the essentials.
Quoted for Vaillant 831 with standard flue kit, new single rad 600 x 1200, magnaclean, room thermostat and 5 trv's.
Materials £1350 as he rang mrcentralheating for price and said labour£350.

No expert but with a bit of research, no mention of chemical/power flush etc or other items to help looking after the system. No flow rate test done either. No written quote.

According to mrcentralheating you can buy the boiler pack which includes 7 double radiators, trv's etc for around £1450. Would this be the best way to go. Will this avoid needing a powerflush as I think the exiating system will be full of sludge.
Im assuming the quote for labour of £350 seems quite low. Vaillant approved also.

Thoughts please

Sponsored Links
Did he leave his horse outside? He's either going to throw it in or work for peanuts.

WHAT do you spect fo that price? Boiler will be on the wall and that is it. I think you are having a laugh OP asking for cleaning or power flush. Chances are the gas line will be well below spec with 831 and you are questioning the quote?

Sponsored Links
WHAT do you spect fo that price? Boiler will be on the wall and that is it. I think you are having a laugh OP asking for cleaning or power flush. Chances are the gas line will be well below spec with 831 and you are questioning the quote?

Im not asking to have one for that price. He was simply round to quote me a price and what he is to do. I am asking whether he should quote for a power flush. If you read it properly im querying if he has included the appropriate aspects of the jobs that need doing and whether labour charge sounds about right.

Just had a quotation which was lacking the essentials.
Quoted for Vaillant 831 with standard flue kit, new single rad 600 x 1200, magnaclean, room thermostat and 5 trv's.
Materials £1350 as he rang mrcentralheating for price and said labour£350.

No expert but with a bit of research, no mention of chemical/power flush etc or other items to help looking after the system. No flow rate test done either. No written quote.

According to mrcentralheating you can buy the boiler pack which includes 7 double radiators, trv's etc for around £1450. Would this be the best way to go. Will this avoid needing a powerflush as I think the exiating system will be full of sludge.
Im assuming the quote for labour of £350 seems quite low. Vaillant approved also.

Thoughts please

I think for that price,( and my chums in the CC will back me up,) you should do one of two things, namely-

A snap his hand off

B tell him to go forth & multiply.

I went to quote for a boiler swap yesterday, and the customer couldn't understand why I was unable to use his existing flue (on his 25yr old boiler)

I walked :eek:

I think for that price,( and my chums in the CC will back me up,) you should do one of two things, namely-

A snap his hand off

B tell him to go forth & multiply.

I went to quote for a boiler swap yesterday, and the customer couldn't understand why I was unable to use his existing flue (on his 25yr old boiler)

I walked :eek:

Thats the thing. After researching on here i have an idea of what should be included in the quote and what they should do during a survey visit. I was expecting the price to be around £2000 to be honest for a straight boiler swap. Ive just rang another expecting to arrange a visit and he said for a straight swap for a woucester bosch greenstar 28cdi i was looking at £1400.....over the phone!!!!
It doesn't give me much faith when this happens and then read advice and more detailed information on here on what should be happening.

The problem is that decent installers are sick to death of spending time and money doing surveys and pricing jobs knowing that they will be undercut by some idiot who doesn't give a toss.

The problem is that decent installers are sick to death of spending time and money doing surveys and pricing jobs knowing that they will be undercut by some idiot who doesn't give a toss.

Fair enough sooey, you have a point but I would rather pay more and have the job done properly but if you don't read sites like this and have some basic knowledge of the subject you wouldn't know what 'properly' is, and what to look for in a quote. The majority of homeowners having work done complain about quotes that are over priced etc but its hardly mentioned about under quoting, therefore questioning if the correct aspects of the job are being taking into account.

Fair enough sooey, you have a point but I would rather pay more and have the job done properly but if you don't read sites like this and have some basic knowledge of the subject you wouldn't know what 'properly' is, and what to look for in a quote. The majority of homeowners having work done complain about quotes that are over priced etc but its hardly mentioned about under quoting, therefore questioning if the correct aspects of the job are being taking into account.

My advise would be to find someone recommended, someone in the family or at work must know a heating engineer that they trust to do a good job.

When you contact them explain that although not wanting to be ripped off, you want the job done right. Not just thrown at the wall, you'd like the system to be flushed and the boiler installed at set up properly.
The quality of any product is only as good as its installer.

Yes I would be happy to have a chat about it, you seem a lot more clued up than most.
If you add me as a friend in your profile we can arrange a visit by private message.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back