Boiler shut down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 10-15 yr old worcester bosch 400 highflow storage/combination boiler in my flat. Last year the boiler broke down, it shut itself off after about 12 hours of being on. I learnt how to reset it and every 12 hours it needed resetting. I then called a corgi registered plumber out and he replaced some parts these included the pump and did a power flush. This solved the problem for approximately 12 months. Now, I am having similar problems where, the boiler keeps shuting itself off. I have had a number of corgi registered plumbers out and also the Worcester bosch repair engineer, who replaced the heat exchanger and a number of other parts. however, this has not resolved the problem as the boiler is still shuting itself off. The pressure goes low after about 12 to 15 hours and then the boiler is shuts itself off. The engineer cannot find a leak in the boiler itself. After all this we are at square 1!

Sponsored Links
If the pressure drops out there must be a leak somewhere. Ste pressure to 1.5bar then turn the boiler off, and flow and return valves off, leave 24hours and check pressure. If pressure has dropped there's a leak in the boiler, if still 1.5bar turn the iso valves on to see if the leak is on system pipework/rads. If pressure is still 1.5bar there is no leak and the next most likely problem would be the exp vessel needing recharging.

Thanks for your advice. I shall get the engineer to try these, and let you know if he has been successful. I am starting to wonder though if it might be easier to get a new boiler put in. Is there a lot of work involved in going from a floor standing to a wall mounted boiler?

Sponsored Links
If the W-B engineer came recently you should be able to call them back as what he has done has not fully fixed the problem.

I think I have an idea what may be wrong.

To install a wall boiler in the same area will be little more but fitting a new boiler is usually £600-£1200 plus cost of boiler depending on area etc. The system probably needs cleaning.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back