Boiler keeps shutting down.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
Not been on here for a few years and can't seem to find my old login unfortunately.

Anyway... I have an Ariston microsystem 21rffi that's stopped working.

The orange overheat / reset button gets activated after 5 seconds of the ignition firing up and the gas igniting. The pump sounds /looks like it's working ok and the water pressure is fine.

This happens even if the boiler has not been used for a number of hours - as soon as the heating or hot water is switched on, the boiler fires up but after 5 seconds the orange reset light comes on and the boiler shuts down. If i press the reset button it just works for 5 seconds and then shuts down agsain

Any ideas please?

thanks
andy

Sponsored Links
I have an Ariston microsystem 21rffi that's stopped working.

Yep, they do that...
Most likely causes are a faulty flame sensor, a faulty air pressure switch, or a faulty PCB. Either way, time to get a Gas Safe Regd Engineer in to diagnose, as whichever way you look at it it's gas-related and not DIYable

Well clearly it has a fault.

But since its a gas/combustion problem you need a competent gas registered engineer to diagnose and repair it for you.

Tony

Along the same lines, can a non gas safe person swap a pcb on a boiler? My Greenstar Ri is playing up and it points to a PCB fault, it seems liek a very easy swap. I used to repair pc's and laptops for a living so am competent enough to perform the actual task of swapping a pcb but wouldn't dream of doing it if there was any real risk.

Sponsored Links
Along the same lines, can a non gas safe person swap a pcb on a boiler? My Greenstar Ri is playing up and it points to a PCB fault, it seems liek a very easy swap. I used to repair pc's and laptops for a living so am competent enough to perform the actual task of swapping a pcb but wouldn't dream of doing it if there was any real risk.
You might be capable of swapping the PCB, but bearing in mind that the PCB controls the gas valve/fan/boiler safety features etc, are you capable of checking that swapping the PCB hasn't affected the safety and proper combustion of the boiler?

Thanks Muggles, that's a good point. I'm certainly not capable of that, is swapping the PCB for an identical one likely to cause such issues?

Thanks Muggles, that's a good point. I'm certainly not capable of that, is swapping the PCB for an identical one likely to cause such issues?
It can do, especially on the combustion side of things. Also, you can't get to the PCB in a Greenstar Ri without removing the boiler's room-sealing casing, which should only be done by a GSR Engineer, so you may as well get him to replace the PCB at the same time

Its not so much a question of how likely it is, but that when any work is carried out on a gas boiler it is required that the engineer does fully check the appliance for safety including ensuring that the flue is correct. The PCB is responsible for turning off the gas supply at the gas valve. If it did not then if not ignited then gas could cause an explosion. If ignited and not turned off when it reaches the set temperature then the boiler would overheat and catch fire.

Its a bit like going out for the evening to the pub by car when the insurance has expired. Nothing much is likely to happen on just one trip. But in the event that there was any accident when uninsured then the consequences can be dire! Quite apart from being stopped by the police and having the car confiscated and prosecution for driving while uninsured.

Tony

Thanks guys. Why don't these things happen in the spring or summer!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back