Baxi Solo2 60RS Keeps shutting down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a baxi solo 2 60 rs boiler and it has started to to play up, in as much as it keeps shutting down, I press the reset button and all is well for a couple of mins then the thing shuts down again.

I have taken both the main thermostat and the overheat thermo out and just put the main thermostat back for the time being and it seems to be running and not shutting down as before. I would appreciate any of your advice as what you may think it is.

Thanks
Gazzataf

Sponsored Links
You should be looking at the pump and measuring the flow and return temperatures.

Tony

The pump is controlled by the boiler on these.

One word of warning, you have now made your boiler ID by removing a safety device.

I'm surprised Tony didn't give you one of his sermons over that :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies, but seeing that I don't have a thermometer to take the flow & return temps what would you suggest I do.

I know its a cardinal sin to temporarily remove the overheat thermo, but If I replace the overheat thermo back into the boiler, the boiler cuts out and so i'm back to square one, unsure what it is.

For info, I have just recently had 2 radiators removed for over 6 weeks due to building work, but the boiler was still functioning fine up until yesterday e.g. for DHW, as yet the central heating was not being used due to our few days here & there of glorious summer.

So again any advice you guy can pinpoint me to would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If when its on without OH stat and it working perfectly ok no thumping and banging rads heating up normally in same time and not getting too hot.Then it could just be faulty OH stat

Thanks for the replies, but seeing that I don't have a thermometer to take the flow & return temps what would you suggest I do.

I think its fairly obvious that you either buy a suitable contact thermometer or call a pro who has one!

I cannot be on preaching duty 24 hours a day!

Tony

yeah ok, So I get a thermometer do the flow & returns measurements then what will that tell me is actually wrong with the boiler!

As you well know there are a lot of unscrupulous so called gas fitters/pro's out there that tar the good honest pro's with their over inflated charges on ill conceived diagnostics of the fault.

So spare me the sermon, it only help & info required, thats what I thought this forum was about, to be pointed in the right direction before making the ultimate & calling a Pro as you call them :confused: .

Gazzataf

You could try replacing the OH stat and making sure that the capillary from it does not touch the HE at all. Should be clipped to edge of case.

If the rads and hot water work ok for a while without the OH stat in, then I would also look along the lines namsag suggested.

Hi Dave

Just a quick one, excuse my ignorance what are the ID & HE you mentioned in your earlier post.

UPDATE:

I have just this morning, put back the OH therm & touch wood, fingers & legs crossed its not shut down yet!, infact the Pilot light remains still on and when I moved the programmer to constant & moved the main boiler temp from low to between No's 1-2 the boiler lit up :eek: .

So I don't know what the prob was/is, any ideas? as buying new thermo's may of been an expense not worth pursuing.

Regards
Gazzataf

ID = Immediately Dangerous

HE = heat exchanger

Try it with the thermostat set higher, in stages. You may find that it goes to overheat after a certain point.

I do not know how or why, but I have had boiler stats that only fail after a certain set point :confused:

May have boiled out an air lock, may even be on a gravity system and not need an overheat stat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back