TV Supressor for Baxi Solo2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would welcome a bit of done it before advice!

Having put up with tv interference I decided to buy a supressor from satcure. I fitted it to the thermostat contacts as instructed, but this caused the boiler overheat switch to cut in suggesting the supressor caused the thermostat to stop working. After removing the supressor, boiler worked fine again.

Did I fit the supressor correctly?
Did I buy the correct supressor for the Baxi Solo2 50?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

thanks

Sponsored Links
It all depends on exactly what is causing the interference and why its interfering with your TV.

The most common reason is a weak signal outside the service area of the TV transmitter or alternately a faulty or inadequate TV antenna. Normally the minimum is an 11 element antenna mounted on the highest part of the building like a chimney stack. The minimum TV field strength for good reception is about 80 dB above a microvolt per metre.

You have bought a device which is intended to be used to supress a mains voltage contact like the stat on an immersion heater.

My advice is to check the TV antenna and sort that out first.

Boilers rarely give any TV interference but the only place you can fit that supressor is across the mains supply to the boiler but depending on the actual mechanism of how the interference is being caused it may not do much to sort it out. Its just possible there is a fault on the boiler.

Tony

thanks tony.

The tv signal is fine with a new high gain antenna fitted on the roof and all coax is of the shielded type. The interference only occures for a few seconds at the moment the boiler kicks in. At all other times the signal is perfect.

The supressor I bought has spade connecttors and is not designed for mains. http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/boiler.htm

If it occurs when the boiler STARTS then its more likely to be the spark ignition in the boiler! Possibly an earthing wire has become disconnected or the insulation on the ignition lead is sparking to the chassis or the spark gap is too wide.

Thermostats on older boilers are mains activated and give interference when they OPEN to shut off the boiler. I have no knowledge of this device you have bought but would expect it to be rated for mains. I dont see it as likely to be the best solution.

If you need a fringe antenna then that implies you are on the edge of the service area. Which transmitter/relay are you watching and how far away is it and whats the terrain like in between. You need quasi line of sight for the best signal strength. Are you quite sure the antenna cable is correctly connected at the antenna and the coax plug end?

Has this always happened or is it something that has only started recently?

Do you also get ignition interference from some cars or motorbikes?

What about watching the boiler ignite with the outer case off and in a dark room in case you could see it sparking somewhere it should not? If you turn off the gas supply it will spark for longer! It should light on the first spark most of the time! Can you count the sparks before it lights?

If everything really was correct on the boiler and it was the ignition causing the interference then an HT lead supressor would be the cure. The latest boilers often have them to reduce RF interference.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Tony, thanks once again for you continued advice - I will try some of your suggestions over weekend.

FYI,this problem occurred before I bought the house and I changed all the old coax as part of our re-furb and I also replaced the old antenna. I fitted the high gain one only because it wasn't worth messing about for a few pounds. The signal strength in our area is fine. Other than this problem we get no other interference.

Once again, thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back