Worcester 350 Fires Up - Shuts down - no reset required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Worcester 350 Combi:

The symptom is fairly simple:

as soon as heat is demanded by either the heating system, or the hot water system, the boiler fires up, but shuts down within a second or so.

Without resetting anything, trying again with either the heating system or hot water results in the same event... fires up for a second, then shuts down.

CH engineer suggests replacing PCB at £400... this seems very expensive, when PCB's seem to cost around £70+/-, and he hasnt given a reason for his diagnosis.

Any ideas welcomed

Richard

Sponsored Links
EliteHeat said:
Richard10002 said:
he hasnt given a reason for his diagnosis.

Why don't you ask him?

I will when I can speak with him. I'm getting my feedback via my letting agent who merely gave me his suggestion and quote.

In the meantime, having had several misdiagnoses on various boilers from various engineers, it's always handy to have some second opinions from people who dont have a vested interest.

Cheers

Richard

CH engineer suggests replacing PCB at £400... this seems very expensive, when PCB's seem to cost around £70+/-,
PCBs are quite expensive on these but you could find a little cheaper if you shopped about on the net.

I was playing with one the friday before christmas. The customer just bit the bullet so they could be warm over christmas otherwise I would have recommended a renewal in this case. I justified the replacement of 2 of the pcbs to get it working.

On the same boiler a thermistor caused similar problems to those you describe a year earlier. Hopefully the guy has ruled out this and other probable causes [fan, flue, APS & flame sensing] before trying to get you to throw this much money at it.

Spending anything over £250- £300 ish on a boiler of this age would be money better spent towards a new boiler IMO

Sponsored Links
Slugbabydotcom said:
Spending anything over £250- £300 ish on a boiler of this age would be money better spent towards a new boiler IMO

I think that's the way I'm leaning.... having searched the net there seem to be 2 PCB's which probably cost about £200 or so.

Thanks for the input.

Richard

Slugbabydotcom said:
As I recall the one on the right is a 'piggy back' job ie. 2 pcbs stuck together but it comes as one pcb

Spoke to the engineer and the quote is £200 to supply and fit the PCB.... says he is 99% certain it's the PCB, but the fan sounds noisy, so that could be next to go, and so on.

I've taken the plunge and he's going to fit a Worcester Junior 24i for £1400 - small 1 bed flat.

Thanks for the advice.... I think I knew the answer before posting here, but it's helped to rationalise the expenditure.

Cheers

Richard

Careful, the 350 is 35kW, the 24 is 24kW. You'll notice the difference if you have a good shower. Perhaps 28-30kW would be a better compromise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back