Boiler siting near a sink?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m doing a house refurb and have been drawing up a kitchen plan including a new combi-boiler. The house didn’t have central heating previously.

I’m getting conflicting info about siting the boiler near the sink, some plumbers say I can, others say I can’t. Once fitted, my boiler would be approx 50cm away from the sink.

My kitchen is only 2m wide and there’s only one practical area where there is sufficient space to fix a boiler on an exterior wall and be near a drain.

My electrician has advised that the regs for the electric’s state that these should be 2m away from the sink where ever possible, but it’s not a hard and fast rule (only where practical). The plan is to have the fused switch 1.5m away from the sink on the wall and bury the wire to the boiler location.

I’ve searched the forum and can find reference to siting boilers in rooms with showers/baths, but nothing on sinks. Likewise, there’s nothing in the manual of the Biasi 32HE I’ve bought other than about showers or baths.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Can't see any problems with it. Sockets can be fitted near to sinks these days, for some reason the old 'must not be able to be touched whilst using the sink rule' has been dropped.

My only concern would be how much the boiler would encroach on your worktop usable space.

HI

there is no problem siting your boiler near the sink as long as
water does not splash on the boiler and the sockets when the sink is in use.
you can always have a socket above the boiler

Sponsored Links
thanks for your replies.

the front face of the boiler will be 50 cm away from the edge of the sink, so it should be fairly safe from splashing (unless the g/f is doing the washing up!!)

i know i'll lose a bit of worktop space, but it can't be helped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back