Boiler size query

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
And your saying that a cylinder needs 51180 btu's to heat up then, will have to be a meaty boiler to cope with the heating as well.

I'd say that on average a 24kw boiler would cope with a megaflow and 7 rads. I'm assuming a modulating high efficiency (+92%) condensing machine... I wouldn't say the same for a cast iron lump.

Sponsored Links
Whats the point of all this legislation bollllocks to conserve energy then putting in bloody great hot water cylinders needing mega watts of heat to use gallons of hot water going down the drain just for domestic use, it defeats the object, plus the extra power used creating the damn things and extra fuel running round repairing then with there extra bits, plus the water treatment plant uses more power having to generate more clean water and treating the waste water, this country needs to make it's sodding mind up what it want to do.

You can get a Bottywarm condenser now, it's got a paper mache heat exchanger to conserve energy, all technical enquiries are directed to a call center in japan manned by redundant origami black belts.

Sponsored Links
Since the pipe size from the boiler is likely to be 22mm, the usual figure for heat transfer is something less than 14kW. A boiler bigger than this is pointless, supported by the observation that where I see 20kW boilers on 22mm pipes, they are for ever starting and stopping, and it's the boiler 'stat doing it, not the cylinder or room 'stats.

Whats the point of all this legislation bollllocks to conserve energy then putting in b****y great hot water cylinders needing mega watts of heat to use gallons of hot water going down the drain just for domestic use, it defeats the object, plus the extra power used creating the damn things and extra fuel running round repairing then with there extra bits, plus the water treatment plant uses more power having to generate more clean water and treating the waste water, this country needs to make it's sodding mind up what it want to do.

I agree completely, but it gets loads of money out of peoples pockets, while some "plumber" I know keeps crowing about fitting them and what wonderful things they are (but he doesen't know the fibs he tells about other things get back to me). People don't see the unreliability as it takes a few years to creep up, but when they need a T&P valve and new combination valve they'll know all about it. Same with these pesky combi boilers. Oops, forgot you're in love with them :)

People could save loads of fuel (for the benefit of the planet) by NOT having radiators in bedrooms or in toilets (who wants to spend so long in there that they will get cold anyway, and if they do, what on earth are they doing?)

I tell all my customers the pitfalls of any system I fit so as not to get moaned at when it breaks down from any of the multitude of inferior components in any modern system combi or y plan etc, fitting mega wasteful hot water cylinders with typhoon bolllock blowing off water pressure is one road I am not interested in going down unless forced to.

I tell all my customers the pitfalls of any system I fit so as not to get moaned at when it breaks down from any of the multitude of inferior components in any modern system combi or y plan etc, fitting mega wasteful hot water cylinders with typhoon bolllock blowing off water pressure is one road I am not interested in going down unless forced to.

Like the 500mm shower roses I'm installing in London you mean, 54mm hot and Tcw supply through the building at a boosted 4 Bar

doitall said:

Like the 500mm shower roses I'm installing in London you mean, 54mm hot and Tcw supply through the building at a boosted 4 Bar

Absolutaly ridiculous, how dirty can these half breeds be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back