Boiler Staying on All Night

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning,

I have a gas central beating system, my boiler is in my garage.

My Frost Stat is set as low as it can be, but my boiler is coming on and staying on all night. I have the Thermostat set as low as it can go, but the radiators still get very hot, as does the hot water. This is wasting a lot of gas!

I think that I need to install (or at least get someone else to install) a "pipe stat" on the return pipe to the boiler ... is this right? Will that override the Frost Stat?

Can someone recommend a good Pipe Stat?

Any if anyone lives in Kent and is qualified to come fit one let me know!

Nick

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the thermostat has packed up, or is in a 'constant on' mode or something.

Termperally you should be able to turn it off by putting it into 'hotwater only' mode when its not required for heating.

Daniel

Sounds like the thermostat has packed up, or is in a 'constant on' mode or something.

Termperally you should be able to turn it off by putting it into 'hotwater only' mode when its not required for heating.

Daniel

Thanks for your reply Daniel. I should have mentioned that this happens no matter what setting the Thermostat or the Programmer are on. I.e. I have the programmer set to OFF and the heating and hot water still both come on?

Are you sure its the frost stat thats keeping the boiler running and not a faulty zone valve? Frost protection for your boiler should not just rely on an air stat and must also have a pipe stat fitted.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply Daniel. I should have mentioned that this happens no matter what setting the Thermostat or the Programmer are on. I.e. I have the programmer set to OFF and the heating and hot water still both come on?
Hard to say. Has its always done that? What boiler is it?

When I moved into my house this was the case, and it turned out that the battery powered digital thermostat was infact not wired to the the boiler at all, which still had its 'always on' link lead in. Presumably as the boiler was also moved when the previous owner had it put in he didnt bother moving the cable, and just used the switch on the front of the boiler to switch between heating and hotwater only modes. I doubt thats your problem, but if your new to the house, anything can happen!

Daniel

I think that I need to install (or at least get someone else to install) a "pipe stat" on the return pipe to the boiler ... (1) is this right? (2) Will that override the Frost Stat?
1 Yes
2 Yes

Can someone recommend a good Pipe Stat?
Honeywell, Drayton or Danfoss.

Any if anyone lives in Kent and is qualified to come fit one let me know!
If you are can wire a plug, you should be able to do this yourself. ;)

View media item 27048
The frost stat turns on the boiler when the air temperature drops below the set point, e.g 5C. As there is no rad in the garage the air never heats up, so the stat never opens to stop the boiler.

The pipe stat is in series with the frost stat and is normally closed. When the water temperature reaches the set point,e.g 25C, the pipe stat opens, breaking the circuit to the boiler; so the boiler goes off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back