boiler still on when programer sliders are switched off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when both my programer sliders are in the off position i can turn the room stat to click on and the boiler fires up and turns the heating on and like wise when i turn it back it clicks and turns the heating off.it is a potterton controller,and promax 15 boiler sealed system.want to use the timmer function but it does not make a difference.the lights come on and go off at the times set but if the room stat clicks in it still comes on.i have a couple of shots of the wiring.any help appreciated.

http://img855.imageshack.us/i/dsc03174.jpg/
http://img832.imageshack.us/f/dsc03176v.jpg/

Sponsored Links
couple of questions for you

what is the grey wire in number 5 connected to ?

have you connected the orange from number 2 to the choc block or is it the camera angle ?

no idea what the grey wire goes to,will have a look after work.yes the orange goes into the choc block,nothing to do with me though thats how it was.

Sponsored Links
yes its a new problem,my boiler packed in around christmas time and i had someone out and got it fixed.but just noticed the problem now that i have started to turn it to the timer.just wanted to know if someone could spot the problem with the wiring sve me getting them back out,if it was a simple wire in wrong place.

yes it did work ok,the only problem was that i had to have heating on to get hot water,could not just press hot water and get hot water hope that makes sense.but if they where on the timer and it turned off,it did turn off and the boiler stopped.on the picture of the wiring ,wires 3,4 grey and black have no power to them,when boiler is on or off.the grey wire does not go to the room stat i have just found out by testing

any idea what wires should be going in the correct numbers,dont understand the orange one,i tried without it connected but still the same.

disconnect the orange wire its not needed, terminal 2 on your programmer is central heating on so you need to trace which wire is connected to your room stat (I suspect the grey wire in number 5 in the room stat connection) but you need to trace and make sure before changing anything.

The orange wire creates a voltage when the motor valve is in the activated position and that is used to start the boiler.

Are you sure the motor valve(s) is moving as expected and not jammed on?

Tony

as the orange wire is connected to a permanent live and the other end is connected to ch on terminal I cant see how its going to move anything.

its actualy brown in number 5 there's two of them,do you think it should be going to room stat,will test it now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back