Boiler stops when on HW only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a problem with our gravity fed Potterton Profile 80e boiler whereby if the controller/timer is set to Hot Water the boiler will fire up and run for a 3 minutes and then cuts out and wont fire again. If the controller is then set to Central Heating it will run perfectly well, never cuts out.

Any ideas on what is happening?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
How long are you waiting for it to come on again?

It can easily be 10-15 min.

Your pipes are probably rather sludged up and reducing the gravity flow!

Tony

It fires up again after 30 minutes. I think the flow is OK as the radiator, which is fed off the HW flow, heats up.

The whole system was drained down last summer as a radiator was moved so I would hope it's not gunged up already!

Check the ball valve on the F&E tank hasn't stuck.

If the tanks full of water then it could be the cold feed is blocked where it connects in to the pipe work.

Go to the highest radiator and open the bleed valve. If nothing comes out then it could be either.

Some old gravity systems were fitted with mechanical pipe thermostats on the return pipe. If it's got one, it could be stuck.

Sponsored Links
Over the weekend I drained the system down and refilled. The water which came out was clear and it refilled without issue. (Had to bleed a couple of rads but that is normal.)

There isn't any thermostat on the return pipe and the one on the flow side, which is within the boiler cabinet, was replaced last year.

Any other suggestions folks?

Check the ball valve on the F&E tank hasn't stuck.

If the tanks full of water then it could be the cold feed is blocked where it connects in to the pipe work.

Go to the highest radiator and open the bleed valve. If nothing comes out then it could be either.

Some old gravity systems were fitted with mechanical pipe thermostats on the return pipe. If it's got one, it could be stuck.

+1 and cold be blockage in primaries. Sludge etc.

Sorry I didn't read the thread completely.
It sounds like an airlock in the primaries. Letting the boiler boil for a couple of seconds should cure it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back