When HW is on the rads are heating up too

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a Potterton EL60 which is located in the attic(its a bungalow property) the HW cylinder is located within 2 foot of it.

When i switch on the HW at the timer control box the rads are heating up too...I think its a gravity fed system....cannot locate a zone switch or diverter switch and neither can i find pump...only been in property a matter of months.........

Also during the winter time when I had it running from the CH switch on the timer...the rads gor really hot and the only way I could shut down the bolier was switch the power switch off...the room temp thermostat was set to zer but still the bolier fired...

Any suggestions

Sponsored Links
You need to find the diverter valve, as this sounds as if it isn't closing fully, or is stuck fully open !

You must have a zone valve and a pump somewhere. If you didnt there would be no need for the room stat.

Track these down and report back. It does sound like the heating valve is stuck open as this would account for the problems you are having

I will look to see if I can locate the pump and valve...hoe far are these likely to be from the boiler /HW cylinder?...one other thing Ive discovered is that there are two tanks in the4 attic near to the boilet and hot water tank,the smaller od these tanks is empty now Im not sure if that is meant to be empty...I think this is a sealed CH system as there is a CUBEX tank nearby....

Sponsored Links
pump and motorised valve would usually be between boiler and cylinder, or at least on the pipe that joins the two of them......and it does sound like a sealed system.

definetly no pump or valve between the boiler and the tank....would that mean its a gravity fed system...also if it is a sealed unit would that explain why the header tank is empty?

Is there any other name on boiler as the EL 60 doesnt ring any bells

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back