HW temperature too high

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My system consists of a Suprima 40 gas boiler, with a timer (EP2002 - separate CH/HW switches), PRT2 room thermostat in lounge, PTT2 thermostat on HW tank (all Potterton).

I usually have the timer set for timed CH (twice a day) and constant HW.

This setup has been working correctly since I moved in (last October). However, since about 3 weeks ago the temperature of the HW has increased significantly (a good 15-20 degrees, if you can go by the reading on the thermostat).

Last week I turned the HW off at the timer, and it still appears to be heated when the CH is on. This could be normal (the timer manual mentions something about "simple systems"), but surely the HW thermostat should cut out at the set temperature (it is set to minimum)?

Could the HW thermostat be at fault?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you have a motorised valve controling the DHW then this could be letting by even if the thermostat has instructed it to close.

Went to job yesterday with valve so stiff the spring return failed to close valve.

Alan

Thanks for the replies.

oilman, yes the pump does switch on and off when the thermostat is turned up and down.

Just a thought, could there be a bad connection between the thermostat sensor and the HW tank? There are in contact but it's possible the sensor could have been knocked. Should they be held in contact with some sort of adhesive?

Thanks,
squiff

Sponsored Links
they are normaly held on with a curtain wire or strap around the tank

squiff said:
Last week I turned the HW off at the timer, and it still appears to be heated when the CH is on. .

motorized valve. Which model valve is it?

The valve is made by Potterton, but there does not appear to be any model number on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back